none
How to make sure that only one Excel AddIn is allowed to be present at a given time? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all:

During development of a more advanced addin, we found a serious inconvenient. Being a small company, I cannot have dedicated beta (rather: alpha) tester. An advanced user and myself (developer) have 2 versions of the AddIn:

- Production: Few buttons, tried and thoroughly tested

- Development: All kinds of ideas, lots of new buttons, not too polished, etc.

The problem is my beta tester. During his "day job" he must be tense, worried not to screw up (something exceedingly easy when you use Excel for data entry). Meanwhile, when he is using the Development AddIn, he should feel relaxed, willing to experiment: "What if a user does this in the wrong order?", trying to *break* the system.

Well, that approach has been a disaster. I decided that from now on, the AddIns will be mutually exclusive. How to implement that? Should the incoming AddIn realize the presence of another and refuse to load? How?

TIA

Thursday, July 26, 2018 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Travis Banger,

It is not possible to prevent the add-in loading since all the add-ins was loaded by the Office program by check the entry from registry. 

In the scenario of you described, you may remind the customers if he/she is using the develop version.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 27, 2018 2:36 AM