Newbie needs help and guidance..... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am working on my first website and was moving along as quick as can be when some weird things happened in my pages. I was hoping someone may be able to give some suggestions or ideas on what to do next. Been killing me every night trying to figure these issues out - my eyes hurt from all the blogs and tutorials!!

• Some pages are linked to the Master page and others I have to manually update on the menus. No idea how this happened. BUT
    • Now the master menu has lost it's format and the shading and everything else has gone pear shaped. And the ones not linked are sort of okay (except for the things i am trying to figure out)
    • Footnote with T&C plus Privacy does not stay down the bottom. I keep having to press enter until it moves down far enough.

And another thing if I may where do I find details to add a Contact Me form where they put their details in so it can come to my email address.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY apprecaited.

Jason

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:36 PM

All replies

• There is no way to know what is going on from a general description of lots of issues.  (We can make wild, and perhaps good, guesses, only.)

First, please clarify.  Are you using a Master page, or a DWT?  They are two completely different things.  Hint:  A DWT named "master.dwt" is a DWT, not a Master page.  If the template page ends in .master, it's a Master page, and that's generally used for asp.net sites.

Post a link to your site, or post code.  And I'd suggest breaking down the problems and attacking one at at time.   Your sanity will thank you.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Hi Kathy. Thanks for the feedback.

As I said a newvbie and. I was going to start off my web building with XsitePro as recommended by some clients i deal with and then a friend in the US told me I should try Expression. So here I am.
    I am using a Master.dwt when I do the updates.   The site is not up and running yet and only the host page comes up so what would be best to post in here? And Post Code - I know you don't mean where I live (or do you)....not sure what you mean. Sorry

My sanity has gooooneee......
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Not sure if I can help with everything but lets cover a few bits:

Musrag said:

Some pages are linked to the Master page and others I have to manually update on the menus. No idea how this happened. BUT

Not sure how the tutorial is on this, but the best way to set up menus is in the web.sitemap file. Create your hierarchy and then roll with it. You can also associate roles to items. The site map provider can also be set up to respect security trimmings and you can set up security in your web.config. If you are also adding manually, you have a mistake either in your site map or in the provider.

Musrag said:

Now the master menu has lost it's format and the shading and everything else has gone pear shaped. And the ones not linked are sort of okay (except for the things i am trying to figure out)

I prefer the CSS Friendly Adapters, which you can download from www.asp.net. It is a bit more complex to initially set up, but gives you full CSS control over your menus.

Musrag said:

Footnote with T&C plus Privacy does not stay down the bottom. I keep having to press enter until it moves down far enough

If you are using CSS, make sure the content area has a minimum size that pushes the footer down. If not, sizing tables or adding <br/>s is your only solution.

--
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/lists/feed.rss

or just read it:
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

Think outside the box
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Post the code in the forum - without seeing the code, we don't know what you are doing or seeing.  For short bits of code, you can paste them here, but it can be easier if you publish the site and let us see that.

master.dwt is a DWT, not a Master page, so use the DWT terminology if you have to ask for more help in the future, and it will forestall confusion.  (For example, Gregory has just posted a reply that deals with asp.net sites, which yours is not.  :) )

If you have a hosting account, publish your site and then post the link to it here.  If you're worried that your not-yet-done site will be public, publish the site to a subdirectory, www.yourdomain.com/test/..., for example.  It will not be obviously available to the general public, only to those to whom you give the link (like us).

From your description, you appear to have detached some pages from your DWT.  You'll need to straighten that out before going forward.

And, taking a step back: How much of a newbie to web design are you?  Did you watch any EW training videos, or do some reading up on CSS and HTML?  Are you trying to design solely in Design View without also watching Code View?  (That Way Be Dragons.  You can find yourself doing all sorts of things you didn't intend to do.)

Give publishing the site a shot, and if it goes well, post a link.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:15 PM