Xbox Dev Mode Activation Crash RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, when I try to activate my XBox into developer mode, the Dev Mode Activation app crashes between the 2nd and 3rd page.

I previously had my XBox set up as a dev kit, and it was all working just fine.  I did a full reset on my XBox, signed into my account on XBox live, downloaded the XBox Dev Activation app.  When I launch the app, when I click "Next" on the 2nd page of the setup (the one that tells about how much space you need on your xbox and that you need visual studio on your computer) the xbox returns to the home screen.  If I navigate back into the dev mode activation app again on my xbox, it brings me back to the first page.

If I sign in with that same account on a different xbox that has never been set up as a dev kit, download the app, and run through the process, I properly get to the page where it displays the activation code.

I have tried doing a full reset again (settings -> reset console -> keep nothing), but I am still unable to activate this xbox.

Has anyone seen this behavior or have any idea how to resolve it?

Sunday, July 9, 2017 5:24 PM

All replies

• Not sure, but I'll forward this to folks who may be able to help
    Monday, July 10, 2017 7:17 PM
  • Could you send us your console ID so we can look for service logs? You can find it by going to the Settings app. Then going to Settings > System > Console info.
    Monday, July 10, 2017 8:00 PM
  • Thank you both.  My console ID is 787783e3.cd7e44d9.15b75cf3.1404f102.01

I also submitted a bug through the XBox feedback hub (bug #12688646) if that helps

Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:06 AM
  • Thank you for sending this. We'll see what we can find.
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 8:47 PM
  • Unfortunately we weren't able to get a repro in-house. We also looked at the error reports and didn't find anything there either. We are very sorry. The only thing we could find is that the activation app may be crashing after it has hit an unknown error from the service.

This means the issue is something specific to that console that isn't allowing it to get an activation code. I'll look into a few more avenues and see if we can find more.
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:10 PM
  • Just wondering if you solved this problem?  I have exactly the same problem since updating the dev mode app and can't get any further than the second page.

Thanks!

Saturday, September 23, 2017 7:47 PM
  • Bump. I'm having this issue as well. Please help!

I'm based in Mexico- is it possible it's a server thing?

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:19 AM
  • WORKAROUND!

If anyone else has this issue, you can manually register your console by loggin in on the Xbox Dev Portal (https://xdp.xboxlive.com/) then go to "Console Conversion" & entering your consoles ID. This gets you around the crash.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:59 PM
  • The XBox Dev portal doesn't work for me, I get a server error after I've logged in.

Any other suggestions?

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:26 PM
  • I am on the Dev portal now but I cannot enter new console IDs. 
    Friday, August 17, 2018 8:05 PM