none
Which is the most secure and fast way of transferring large amount of data (SQL server backup files) to Azure Blob or Azure VM hosting SQL RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering options apart from Azure Import Export.

The data is more than 2Tb. but divided into multiple files. I would have 8-10 files ranging from 30Gb to 500Gb And we can use certificates for any web service that can be utilized for this transfer.

AzCopy is usually recommended for transfer of data upto 100GB or less.

Azure Data Factory, Data management Gateway by creating a pipeline and gateway and transferring data.

Please do suggest if there is any other way to do this transfer.

rafi qureshi

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:26 AM

All replies

• You could go with AzCopy itself. It should work just fine for 2TB+ of data.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

• Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Azure Data Factory can be used to do the file copy of 10's of TBs at wire transfer speeds.  Through ADF you can also configure compression before the file transfer and then decompress before writing into Azure storage or ADLS, then reducing the total amount of data volume that needs to be transferred.  ADF also gives you ability to monitor the progress and rerun on failure.  Give it a try and let me know how it goes.
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 10:50 AM
  • In terms of encryption and security?  would you recommend it as the most secure approach.

rafi qureshi

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:07 PM
  • If the destination Azure data store supports HTTPS or TLS, all the data transfers between on premises and the Azure data store are via secure channel HTTPS or TLS.
    • Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:44 AM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:27 PM