none
VBA RRS feed

• Question

• I started at a new company and they have me coding in VBA for excel.  They created a custom tab for excel.  The problem that I am having is that when I make a change it does not save.  I have tried compiling, saving, working in design mode...?

Please Help!

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here's how you can find the 'embedded' xml (if it is indeed embedded because i don't know that yet).

When you have downloaded the CustomUI editor and installed it (very small application so up and running in less than a minute) You go to the menu and open your excel file from the open menu. Don't worry it won't open the actual Excel file it will merely open the 'embedded' xml file. There you can make any changes you want and save the file again. This will update the 'embedded' xml.

I also wrote a blogpost about it which might help you a bit:

http://mauriceausum.com/2011/06/22/customui-editor/ (there is also a part II and more...)

Maurice

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. Thank You

Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Since this is not VB.NET I am moving your question to the Excel for developer forum

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

What did you change? Was the custom tab created with code something like the custom ui editor or with the ribbon settings. You can open the xml behind the excel file using the custom ui editor.

Maurice

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. Thank You

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 6:03 PM
  • Thank you,  where can I find the xml file?
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

Here's how you can find the 'embedded' xml (if it is indeed embedded because i don't know that yet).

When you have downloaded the CustomUI editor and installed it (very small application so up and running in less than a minute) You go to the menu and open your excel file from the open menu. Don't worry it won't open the actual Excel file it will merely open the 'embedded' xml file. There you can make any changes you want and save the file again. This will update the 'embedded' xml.

I also wrote a blogpost about it which might help you a bit:

http://mauriceausum.com/2011/06/22/customui-editor/ (there is also a part II and more...)

Maurice

Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:36 PM