none
Please help: clr20r3, outofmemoryexception RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My .NET 3.5 application (VB .net 2008) abnormally shuts down with a message that "The application has encountered a problem and needs to shut down".

Checking the event viewer:

EventType clr20r3, P1 application_name.exe, P2 0.0.0.0, P3 4784d05b, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 471ebc5b, P7 xxxx, P8 xx, P9 system.outofmemoryexception, P10 NIL.

The application is deployed successfully at many different clients. But only one of them is facing this problem intermittently. Sometimes this problem occurs 3 times in a day, while at other times it might occur once in a day or two. I have not been able to reproduce this issue in my development environment, and hence cannot debug the problem. Their system has sufficient RAM, Paging and Disk space. 

Please share any solution you may have for this issue.

Regards,

Pradeep K.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:10 AM

Answers

• This is typically due to being unable to allocate memory.  If it's a 32bit application, this can often start to occur as soon as you reach around 1.2gb of ram usage - no matter how much ram is on the system.

I would first recommend running your application under a memory profiler to make sure you're not leaking memory.  This would be the best first step - any leaked memory should be corrected, as, over time, this will cause this error.  A good option for this is the ANTS Memory Profiler

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    • Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:51 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:00 PM