none
MISSING reference when opening VB6 project RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing and compiling my VB6 app on Windows 7 sp1 64-bit.  I have handled our ADO reference issues cited in the KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2517589.  However, the ADO dll reference shows as missing each time I reopen my project, so I must manually go and reset the reference.  I checked (and even opened up) file permissions and all seem to be fine.  The msado60_Backcompat.tlb is the only reference that keeps getting lost.  The project vbp file is showing the date/time updated, so I know I am saving it fine.  Just will not hold the one reference.

A nagging little booger, so any help would be appreciated,

Tom

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:23 PM

All replies

• I don't have x64 and so can't test but, and I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, can you work with Late Binding. Remove the ref, CreateObject, replace any named constants with intrinsic values.

That might be the pragmatic workaround, but if you don't like that it might be worth asking in the old vb.general group which is still hanging in there!

BTW, does the reference persist in VBA (as I said I can't test)

Peter Thornton

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Thanks, Peter.  I did notice this technique in another thread, and yes, it would provide a workaround.  I just found it strange the reference holds until you close te VB IDE and then reopen, especially when the file date changes for the vbp file.
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:23 AM
  • If you edit the VBP file manually to include the reference does it stick?
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:59 AM
  • Sorry about the long time getting back to this, but I happened to be back in the project again, so thought I would take a look.  The VPB file is showing the correct info; however, References dialog shows as MISSING.  I even tried to set permissions to Everyone on the file, thinking it may be a security issue, which I still think it is, but no help.  I open VB as an Administrator.  When I manually reset the linked file and different the original VBP with the reset VBP, the files are identical.  The tool I use does detect a change occurred, but a comparison shows no difference.  the refrence is below:

Reference=*\G{0C0FF45D-87C8-4333-9075-3D9B4D64F9FC}#6.0#0#..\..\..\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\ado\msado60_Backcompat_i386.tlb#Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 6.0 BackCompat Library

Any further ideas greatly appreciated,

Tom

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:02 PM