Multiple networks RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible for an application to use multiple network connections at the same time?
    e.g we have an application where the user needs to connect to the internet via GPRS/HSDPA to download a file from a website and then connect to a server on the wifi network and upload the file.
    As far as I can see the only way to do this is to download the file then go into settings and change the "internet" network to use the wifi connection.
    Is there any way to get windows mobile to choose networks based on address, e.g use wifi for 192.168.1.* and use GPRS/HSDPA for all other addresses?
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:40 AM

Answers

• Hi AlanBirtles,

As far as I know, it can't achieve. Since Connection manager manager all the available connections, it will choose best connection to to connect at one time. By default, the it will choose the connection path that is likely to have the highest bandwidth.  In this example, that is the latter path since WiFi typically has higher bandwidth than GPRS plus VPN.

For more information:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/cenet/archive/2006/06/06/620360.aspx

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi AlanBirtles,

As far as I know, it can't achieve. Since Connection manager manager all the available connections, it will choose best connection to to connect at one time. By default, the it will choose the connection path that is likely to have the highest bandwidth.  In this example, that is the latter path since WiFi typically has higher bandwidth than GPRS plus VPN.

For more information:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/cenet/archive/2006/06/06/620360.aspx

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:44 AM
  • I know about connection manager but we are trying to do this in internet explorer without installing any software.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:30 AM
  • Hi AlanBirles,

Internet Explorer just launch a connection request. Every connection requestion will be managed by Connection manager. Please read the blog I provided.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Friday, February 27, 2009 7:19 AM