Crystal Reports and the Twilight Zone!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• User1146984159 posted

OK....you guys are not going to believe this. However, I need to make this post in the hopes that my brain hasn't been hijacked by aliens, the government or simply sucumb to large volumes of caffine!!

The senario:

Windows Server 2008 R2 - fully patched

SQL Server 2008 Standard - fully patched

ASP.Net 4.0 installed and running perfectly

Crystal Reports 2008 Redist (x64) installed (the one packaged with VS2008)

ASP.Net 4.0 application using SQL database, AspNetSqlMembershipProvider, AspNetSqlProfileProvider, AspNetSqlRoleProvider. The site runs fine. All AJAX, LINQ, System.IO calls (text and e-mail file read and write), everything runs fine......except...

My crystal reports.

So, Using VS2010 to build 99% of the site. then switch to VS2008 to build the reports. Publishing from 2010, everything compiles, not one error or warning.

I have a local test server, configured identically (minus some IIS plug-ins (remote web management, web deployent, extended configuration, blah, blah, blah) and the stats software (installed on test server on production)). The site, and reports, run fine!!!

Now....my reports are sitting inside a folder called "reports" (I know, very imaginative, wait - it gets better!). All of the ASPX pages calling the reports (their loaded in code behind) generate an "HTTP Error 503 - Service Unavailable"

I spent all day on this issue. The solution?

Renaming the folder from "reports" to "my_reports" cleared the problem!!!!!

And no, I am not kidding!!!!!

Goodle and Bing searches on this error (no errors captured in event viewer by the way, nor the IIS log files) resulted in nothing. No-one has reported this, or if they did, the aliens/government/caffine intake took all of their brains!!

Has anyone, anywhere, ever see anything like this......EVER!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:23 PM

All replies

• User-295915200 posted

most probably you have SQL reporting services fully installe don the same server which creates its own folder by default called "reports"

this name conflicted withh your CR folder "reports"

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:57 AM