none
Paid / Free versions of an App and the reserved name

Question

• Hi,

lets say i have a Paid version of an app(w/ trial) and a Free version(Ad Supported), how am i supposed to deal with the "name reservation" thing?

First, why having a Paid(w/ trial) and Free(w/ ads)? Well, simply because offering a Trial(free ad supported) doesnt do justice, since peoples who are not willing to pay in the first place will browse throught the marketplace app and see that an app has a price on it and simply skip it instead of installing the trial version to finally realize that the Trial is the Free variant.

That being said, having a duplicated app for both Paid and Free Ad Supported is making it difficult to have the same name on the marketplace. Sure i can give them both the same name, but i cant use the same reserved name for both. I have to do something like adding a suffix character to the Free version or put a Pro at the end of the Paid application name, which is not representating the truth anyway since the Paid version has no Pro features in it, its just Ads-Free.

I hope my question was clear enough(sorry for any grammar mistake, i am not english native).

So, how do you/should i deal with it?

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, January 31, 2015 11:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

lets say i have a Paid version of an app(w/ trial) and a Free version(Ad Supported), how am i supposed to deal with the "name reservation" thing?

First, why having a Paid(w/ trial) and Free(w/ ads)? Well, simply because offering a Trial(free ad supported) doesnt do justice, since peoples who are not willing to pay in the first place will browse throught the marketplace app and see that an app has a price on it and simply skip it instead of installing the trial version to finally realize that the Trial is the Free variant.

That being said, having a duplicated app for both Paid and Free Ad Supported is making it difficult to have the same name on the marketplace. Sure i can give them both the same name, but i cant use the same reserved name for both. I have to do something like adding a suffix character to the Free version or put a Pro at the end of the Paid application name, which is not representating the truth anyway since the Paid version has no Pro features in it, its just Ads-Free.

I hope my question was clear enough(sorry for any grammar mistake, i am not english native).

So, how do you/should i deal with it?

Thanks in advance!

I remember in the universal apps tutorial or another channel 9 tutorial the Microsoft employees actually recommended adding Pro to the end. You can limit features easily though with one line of code. Here's the line of code:

If Windows.ApplicationModel.Store.CurrentApp.LicenseInformation.IsTrial = False Then
    End If
    Edit: perform more checks as necessary if you wish.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Saturday, January 31, 2015 11:34 PM
    Saturday, January 31, 2015 11:34 PM
  • Hello JPSavard,

You will not be able to use the same name for both the free app and the paid with trial app.  You would need to have 2 separate names and 2 separate apps published to the store. 

- Miles

Windows and Windows Phone Dev Center Support

Send us your feedback about the Windows Platform

Monday, February 2, 2015 9:28 PM