none
Changing the Port Number in Microsoft Expression Web RRS feed

• Question

• I can't publish my website. I received an error that said could not find my remote webserver on port 21. I called the host provider and they made me change my remote web server settings. It went from a 3 hour wait to a 6 hour wait for it to publish. I called them back. They suggested checking my internet connection. That works just fine. It still wouldn't publish. I called them back. They want to change the port number. I don't know how to do it and neither does he. Please help. I'm open to any suggestions for any of it.

Thank you.

Friday, January 28, 2011 10:56 PM

All replies

• I believe you are jumping the gun.  "cant find on port 21",  usually means you have the wrong setting checked for "use Passive" or not.  (You didn't mention which version of EW you are using; earlier ones used the IE setting, but the same situation applies.)
    Friday, January 28, 2011 11:49 PM
  • The other time that you get a port 21 error is when your firewall is blocking Expression Web from connecting to the site though the most common reason is as Kathy said - you need to switch to or from passive connection.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:14 AM
  • I have recently had the same problem (after years of having no problems). I can publish individual files but can't publish the entire site. I disabled the firewall and changed the "use passive" setting. Additionally I deleted all the web's cache. But I still get the identical message:

"Could not find a web server at 'web238.ixwebhosting.com' on port 21. Please check to make sure that the name is valid.."

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks kindly.

Monday, March 7, 2011 11:32 PM
  • Try connecting with Filezilla (free download) and see if you can connect with it. That will narrow down the possible causes.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 12:04 AM