none
Excel Online Task Pane Apps works issues with Reading/Writing using Office JS RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi ,

I had faced some of the weird behaviour while using my office task pane apps in Excel Online. 

Some times, it says Office is undefined in the Chrome browser console and none of the office js functions are accessible in this situation.  But some times , whenever we start freshly loading the app in new Excel online sheet , it works good. 

is there any notable behavioural changes between desktop Excel task pane apps and Excel Online web apps ???? 

Regards,
    Ram

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Ram,

Based on the description, the app for Excel on line worked for sometime.

Could this issue be reproduced on the other machine?

What's the version of IE installed on the computer? As far as I know, we need to install Internet Explorer 9, or a later version for using Office online web app.

>>it says Office is undefined in the Chrome browser console and none of the office js functions are accessible in this situation<<

I also suggest that you check whether the Office.js is download successfully from the Chrom.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:27 AM
  • Hi Fei , 

Especially in IE 11 Task pane Web App , I could see the javascript window.open not working ?? 

is it blocked in IE webapps ??  

We have launched "D&B Business Solutions" App in Office Store.  We are in the process of improving the Features of the App.  It is a trial App and you can insert it in your Excel Online with IE 11 Browser.. and Check the register link opening or not ?? 

Regards,

Ram 

Friday, December 5, 2014 7:34 AM
  • Hi Ram1989,

>> It is a trial App and you can insert it in your Excel Online with IE 11 Browser.. and Check the register link opening or not ?? <<

The register button works well for me, I am testing in IE 11. It seem the issue is reltative the setttings of IE. I suggest that you try to reset the settings for IE.

If the issue still exits, you may consider reinstall IE.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, December 8, 2014 11:20 AM
  • Hi Fei ,

Following the steps of msdn, i uninstalled ie11 and could open the child window in Ie9(earlier version of IE).. and 

when i reinstall the IE11, the results perhaps be the same (Child window is not opening at all)..

Could you please tell me what setting in IE11 can only cause this blocker ?? 

Also fyi, It happens only in my App on IE11 + Excel Online version .. When i open the manifest url in the IE11 browser address bar , there is no issue.

Regards,
    Ram

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:02 AM
  • Hi Ram,

Thanks for the detail information about this issue.

>>Also fyi, It happens only in my App on IE11 + Excel Online version .. When i open the manifest url in the IE11 browser <<

Did you mean that you open the html page of app vai type the address in IE 11 broswer directly? I suggest that you debug the apps to see wehther there is error when you click the button in the app.

What did you mean Excel Online? Is it the service provied by Microsoft or your organization?

>>Could you please tell me what setting in IE11 can only cause this blocker ?? <<

I suggest that you try this apps in a clean enviroment, and compare the difference of settings of IE brswer to see whether colud cause this issue.

Regards & Fei

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:08 AM
  • Thanks Fei,

>>Did you mean that you open the html page of app vai type the address in IE 11 broswer directly? I suggest that you debug the apps to see wehther there is error when you click the button in the app.

Yes, I did mean that. I typed the app url in IE11 address directly and there is no error on the console. Also, it opens the child window as seen in desktop apps. 

But in Excel Online with IE11 , I could see the App opening inside the iframe window.. is it that causing the child window not popping up ???

Also i could identify other IE11 issue when i use window.location.reload(). This command should reload the app inside the iframe window as it does in IE9 and Chrome. But  in IE11, the app is reloaded in the entire bowser window with the reloaded url. 

Anyhow i will try reproducing the same in clean environment and let u know. Thanks!

Regards,
    Ram

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:27 PM
  • Hi Fei , 

I tried in a clean environment with IE11. Seems like it is good and there is no issue as mentioned in the above posts. 

Thanks for taking time. 

Regards,
    Ram

Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:21 AM
  • Hi Ram,

Thanks for sharing with us the confirmed information. Have a nice day:)

Regards & Fei

Friday, December 12, 2014 8:56 AM