Broken 'Open With' functionality in Windows

Question

• I have Office 2010 and Office 2003 installed side by side on Windows Developer Preview. Office 2010 is set by default to open all Office documents. Now suppose if I want to open certain documents only once in Office 2003 apps, I would right click the concerned Office document, choose Open With and select the Office 2003 app from the list or browse to its EXE and open it. However it still opens the document in the Office 2010 version of that app even if I select the Office 2003 program EXE. So I guess it gets confused if two different versions of the same program with the same program name are installed even if they are installed in different locations. It doesn't add the 2nd EXE to the Open With list if one is already present. Hopefully, this will be fixed in the beta. This problem is there since at least Windows XP.

The problem occurs with any program if they have the same application name. Like even if I have two different versions of the same Adobe program installed, only one shows up and can be used from the "Open with" dialog.

• Edited by xpclient Friday, October 28, 2011 12:25 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 11:36 AM

Answers