SQL Servers on Separate Domains? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two SQL 2005 Servers on two separate domains and want to be able to import data from one to the other using SSIS, etc.   In other words, I would like server A, using SSIS, pull data from server B, which is on a separate domain.  Right now A can ping B but what else do I need to do to see server B showup in the Managment Studio on server A?  Or, is that too much to ask?  I'm currently using Windows authentication.  Am I making this too hard?

Thanks for your ideas.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

Is there a trust set up between the two domains?  If so, you should be able to create the windows login as a principal on the remote server.

There may be something arcane you can do with delegation to make the Windows auth work, even if you're not on trusted domains, but I'll leave that to the security experts.

The simple solution, of course, is to enable mixed mode authentication on the remote instance.

I'm going to move this over to "security", where it will be seen by the right crowd.

HTH!
    Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:33 AM
  • Thanks.  If you're saying the security mode on the remote server needs to be in Mixed mode and the local service is ok using Windows authentication I might be ok.  I'll have to check. 

Now my question is, is just a matter of setting up a SQL account on the remote SQL server (domain B) so it can see the local server (domain A)?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:25 PM