Windows 8 - Desktop, not a tablet PC... Help?

General discussion

• As Steven, the support engineer, said, "To assist with thread management we are going to lock this thread. If you would like to continue the discussion or have additional questions feel free to create a new thread" so I am going to start a new thread.

Hi, my name is Alec, and I'm a PC, not a mobile tablet or an ARM device of any kind. I have been running Windows 8 developer preview on my high-power desktop. My desktop has not been assembled with efficiency in mind nor mobility. I have a RadeonHD 5870 with an AMD Bulldozer CPU. I am a desktop gamer and I am not interested in mobile devices that are based off of Windows or especially Android. I was interested in trying Windows 8 on my desktop due to a new version of WDDM and to get a feel for what Windows 8 will be when it is officially released and declared "stable."

After experiencing the Windows 8 "metro style" for about 5 minutes, I noticed many things wrong (at least IMHO) with Windows 8. I really don't like the idea of not being able to close the control panel (at least with ease) among many other applications or "services" in Windows 8. I don't want services or applications to simply go to sleep and allow an easy way for the user to get back to them when I need them by dragging my "finger across the screen" or through some other fancy technique that simply isn't possible on a stationary desktop, or at least not one without a touchscreen. Alt tabbing is very annoying to browse through the list of open applications, and I would really like a close button on everything, along with a way to re-size everything, and all the other convenient features of Windows 7, within Windows 8.

My desktop is a desktop for a reason; to play DirectX 11 titles such as Battlefield 3, open and close the control panel to do system maintenance, and open up whatever else I want in the background, and not overlap my currently open applications. As a person who loves to multitask, I want to be able to slide or drag several applications across the screen, re-size them, and pretty much everything I wanted to do in Windows 7, that is now much more difficult or even impossible in Windows 8.

Windows 7 offers much more flexibility on a full-blown desktop PC and works a lot easier than the failed Windows 8 attempts at making things easier. For an example, let's say I have Notepad opened, IE, and the file manager / file browser. Now, I want to see the contents of what is inside Notepad, and open up the control panel, re-size the control panel to a small window so I can also check my email while doing windows updates, and still have notepad running and visible at all times. With Windows 8, how do you do everything at once that you could easily do before? Why all this confusing "make your life easier" nonsense? If I have applications running that I don't want to disappear, but I want to go to the start menu and open up something else, how do I make the start menu not expand to my entire screen? If there is a method, why is it so hard to find, or at least not obvious to the average user? The idea of having Windows 8 as a cross platform between ARM and x86 is POTENTIALLY a good idea, but the way Microsoft went about this was not exactly "smart" if you ask me. Windows 8 needs some sort of a setting or an option of some kind, to specify if your PC is like mine, where it has plenty of power and resources to do everything at once, OR if it's a low-power tablet that you carry around with you, or if you want your PC to behave like a tablet, even when it isn't. I really don't like the idea of having this big metal case under my desk looking like a tablet for several reasons. It's embarrassing to me for one. Secondly, it's hard to use as an actual desktop.

In short, what happened to the easy, simple, click & close, re-size and minimize, restore and expand options? I really hope that Windows 8 fixes these issues that I have mentioned, and other people have as well, such as the sticky in this forum, titled "Exit Developer Preview Apps (aka Closing Metro Apps.")

I know that it may seem as if I really dislike Windows 8 and everything about it, but the truth is, I don't. There are things that the developers need to do though in order to really satisfy both the mobile device market, and the desktop market. You can't make both happy at once without flexibility in between. Forcing users to treat their desktops as tablets won't work, nor trying to turn tablets into desktops. The Protogon filesystem for example, faster performance I assume, new features, improvements over the old NTFS, etc. along with a new version of WDDM and I assume a new version of DirectX / Direct3D as well. I'm just not one of those people who like the whole "cloud" fad or this whole new "metro style" thing.

Please give us, or at least people like me, some sort of an option to TURN OFF this efficient or lightweight desktop look and feel. Windows 7 was great the way it was, and so was XP, but 7 added the eye-candy that we wanted since computers were much faster by the time 7 was released. Metro isn't eye-candy though, it's an inconvenience to those who actually want to get real work done, and for those who multitask and number crunch. Sure, eye-candy isn't exactly good for that either, but it's a lot less distracting than metro, and it doesn't interfere as much. Plus, you can turn off the visual effects! What are you guys' thoughts on Windows 8 for a desktop? Should Windows 8 be the future for desktops? What about the powerhouses?

Thank you so much for your input in advance, I really want to get your thoughts together here.

I apologize about the mix of fonts in this message, they don't make changing the fonts and sizes easy.. Kind of reminds me of Windows 8.. Oh wait!

Monday, December 19, 2011 12:15 AM

All replies

•  As Steven, the support engineer, said, "To assist with thread management we are going to lock this thread. If you would like to continue the discussion or have additional questions feel free to create a new thread" so I am going to start a new thread.

Which thread is this a continuation of? "Windows 8 Start Button," "Poll - Metro on the Desktop," and my own "A List of Problems with Metro, and Redesign Recommendations" all have continuations if you look for them. If this is a separate discussion, you should remove the "locked thread" part of your post.

Monday, December 19, 2011 1:52 AM
  • This thread is a continuation of Exit Developer Preview Apps (aka Closing Metro Apps) and this is not a separate discussion.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Really? This post seems like it's only loosely related to closing Metro apps.

Please give us, or at least people like me, some sort of an option to TURN OFF this efficient or lightweight desktop look and feel. Windows 7 was great the way it was, and so was XP, but 7 added the eye-candy that we wanted since computers were much faster by the time 7 was released.

Actually, it was Vista that added the eye candy. I actually prefer Vista's Aero design over Windows 7's.

• Edited by WindowsVista567 Monday, December 19, 2011 2:33 AM Responded to statement about Windows XP vs. Windows 7 (separate edit from this "Reason" addition)
    Monday, December 19, 2011 2:16 AM
  • I'm sorry but are you giving me a hard time here? I apologize for the Vista / 7 mishap, but your posts seem irrelevant and you seem to be responding to only very small sections of my initial post, mainly focusing on the unimportant details. The third, fourth, six, and seventh paragraphs / sections all revolve around or directly address the nuisance of the metro style apps, including, but not limited to closing the applications. If you read further, I wouldn't have had to point this out to you. I admire your efforts, trying to make me feel stupid or whatever your goal(s) might be. A continuation of a new thread, believe it or not, may contain more details or discussions about other things, that were not mentioned or left out in the original thread. I covered more details in this thread than the original, and I believe you are confused due to this fact. As I have mentioned deep within my original post, I am a multitasker; "As a person who loves to multitask, I want to be able to slide or drag several applications across the screen, re-size them, and pretty much everything I wanted to do in Windows 7, that is now much more difficult or even impossible in Windows 8." Part of being a multitasker (oh the fonts changed on me again) includes being able to focus on several details at once.

• Edited by NeoTheUser Monday, December 19, 2011 7:44 PM fixed typos and made it a more contributing post.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Actually, you wrote a very good criticism of the Metro UI. I just had a few questions I wanted to ask.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:07 PM
  • I agree. The lack of control is rather dissapointing, I really miss being able to close programs. I've found myself spamming [ctrl][shift][esc] and nuking everything after trying out a few apps. Yes, if I hit the command/windows key I want my app to stay in stasis, but I still want the ability to completely close an app quickly without needing to open taskmanager. Keeping [alt]+[f4] would have been sufficient. That being said, I love the uses of the command/windows key. 

Another issue (and I understand this is in-development and not final) is that Windows 8 is really not great with a mouse and keyboard setup. I would understand no controls better than the current set.

Why not (In metro), instead of making me use the scroll wheel (Up/down mapped to left/right is very counter-intuitive) or click the arrows at the bottom of the screen (poor usability), allow me to click on empty space and drag? or automatically scroll when my mouse enters 5-10% of the edges of the screen? I've been using my keyboard to navigate metro, which (while functional) isn't very enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I actually like the idea of metro, it's just the controls right now are poor at best. Also, Consistency. In metro, at least the mouse wheel scrolls left right. in many apps, it doesn't, which means I'm actually forced to click the scroll wheel at the bottom.

Controlling with my Wacom tablet has the same issues as mouse control.

I like the direction, but I really don't like some aspects of this direction. The loud colours and "Windows" in metro are excellent, as is the keyboard control, but the lack of control and terrible mouse controls are disheartening. I sincerely hope these are firmly in the "unfinished" category.

PS: if the rumours of playing my Xbox games on my Windows 8 PC are true, I will be extremely happy. One library for two platforms is fantastic.

PPS/Edit: Feature request: allow my Xbox 360 controller to natively navigate Windows 8

Props to whoever on the development team included Chromium in Windows 8, you made my day!

• Edited by Fireproofjeans Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:49 AM Add feature request
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:43 AM