none
Problem with 0.9 installation RRS feed

• Question

• First, I already searched this forum in hopes of finding a solution without asking a dumb question... so if I missed the post detailing this problem/solution, many apologies,and please don't waste  your time flaming me, as this is an innocent enough question that someone surely must have encountered... So....

Smallbasic installs from the msi file, but when I try to run a .sb program by double clicking on the source *.sb icon, it does not launch the SB IDE and load the source.  It seems that the file association is not being set up correctly in the install.  I tried uninstalling and then deleting all the registry keys from previous installs, along with the program files\microsoft\smallbasic\* files as well as all the temp directory mess left over and still got the same problem.

Smallbasic runs fine when launching from the program launch, or the shortcut.  I tried associating the .sb file type with the smallbasic executable, but it gave the error "The parameter is incorrect"  Looking at the folder options\file types for the sb extension I found for the &open action the following parameter: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic\SB.exe" "%1"  The "use DDE" was also checked, but the DDE paramter was blank. 

Can someone please enlighten me as to why this problem is occuring.  It would seem for such a slick little programming app that this bug should have been worked out in the install before deployment, but hey, I understand that I got everything that I paid for....

Regards,

Frank

Monday, October 18, 2010 8:49 PM

Answers

• Jricestk,

Yes, the .sb files seem to have various file-open actions assigned to them upon install, some others have reported them trying to be opened by adobe reader... go figure..  I do indeed understand the the .exe and .pdb files are created when compling the .sb source file, and yes, I understand the .exe files are the ones you run and can make shortcuts to, etc....   And yes, if you don't like the SB programming IDE then I guess if you want to use Notepad to open and edit the .sb files by default,  that is fine... your preference...  You can also use the command line approach to compiling the .sb files if you want instead of clicking the pretty run button in the Smallbasic IDE.. but.. to each his own...

That being said, the reason i wanted the .sb files to open the Smallbasic IDE should be self explanitory:  I wanted to use the Smallbasic IDE to edit , develop, and compile the .sb file when clicking on the source .sb file.  It would seem stupid to want to use notepad or another editor to edit the .sb source file.  (although I do use Brief, Texpad, and Multiedit for my embedded programming editors)  Doesn't that make sense? 

Anyway, Like I explained in the previous post, I had just unchecked the "Use dynamic data exchange" option in the file type association dialog and now all is well.  It just didn't make sense that the default file association for .sb files was something other than the smallbasic IDE.  I was just setting this up for a friend of my son's that I am helping get into programming.  I use the visual studio C#, C++ and VB tools professionally, as well as the C compilers for the microchip DSPic Micro Controller family, and also program for the Mac using Objective C and Cocoa, and really don't use SB for  anything.  I was, however,  really amazed at how slick of a job Vijaye Raji has done on this introductory to programming approach and am using it to get folks into programming that otherwise wouldn't even get near it.  Heck, I even got the wife to write a line or two of code, and she never has wanted to program.

Frank

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:15 PM

All replies

• Well, and update for anyone having this same problem... I unchecked the "use DDE" box and, viola, it works fine.  

I'm sure that someone will have an explanation for why this happened, but at this point...

Frank

Monday, October 18, 2010 8:54 PM
  • .Frank. _

When I look at my file types on my computer(XP) it shows the .sb files opening with notepad.  When I look in the directory that holds these .sb files there are 3 filetypes there. The .sb, .pdb and .exe files.  The .exe files are the ones that I create shortcuts for and run fron my desktop.  I guess I don't know understand why you would want to open the .sb files with Small Basic since there is already a .exe created.

Jricestk

Jricestk
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:36 AM
    Answerer
  • Jricestk,

Yes, the .sb files seem to have various file-open actions assigned to them upon install, some others have reported them trying to be opened by adobe reader... go figure..  I do indeed understand the the .exe and .pdb files are created when compling the .sb source file, and yes, I understand the .exe files are the ones you run and can make shortcuts to, etc....   And yes, if you don't like the SB programming IDE then I guess if you want to use Notepad to open and edit the .sb files by default,  that is fine... your preference...  You can also use the command line approach to compiling the .sb files if you want instead of clicking the pretty run button in the Smallbasic IDE.. but.. to each his own...

That being said, the reason i wanted the .sb files to open the Smallbasic IDE should be self explanitory:  I wanted to use the Smallbasic IDE to edit , develop, and compile the .sb file when clicking on the source .sb file.  It would seem stupid to want to use notepad or another editor to edit the .sb source file.  (although I do use Brief, Texpad, and Multiedit for my embedded programming editors)  Doesn't that make sense? 

Anyway, Like I explained in the previous post, I had just unchecked the "Use dynamic data exchange" option in the file type association dialog and now all is well.  It just didn't make sense that the default file association for .sb files was something other than the smallbasic IDE.  I was just setting this up for a friend of my son's that I am helping get into programming.  I use the visual studio C#, C++ and VB tools professionally, as well as the C compilers for the microchip DSPic Micro Controller family, and also program for the Mac using Objective C and Cocoa, and really don't use SB for  anything.  I was, however,  really amazed at how slick of a job Vijaye Raji has done on this introductory to programming approach and am using it to get folks into programming that otherwise wouldn't even get near it.  Heck, I even got the wife to write a line or two of code, and she never has wanted to program.

Frank

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:15 PM