none
Could options for the back end RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My head is spinning with this issue and I was so glad that I found this forum. I will briefly explain my situation 

- I have a MS Access database with 35 users spread across three locations. Database has about 100,000 records collectively.
    - The back end is placed in a network drive in the server and all front ends are connected to it. Users from remote locations connect to the network drive with VPN.
    - However, due to various limitations with the network bandwidth, when all users access the back-end, it slows down performances immensely. It has got to a point where it's really hard to use. 

Here is what I would like to know 

1) Is there a way to place a local copy of the backend in each users computer and make it sync with a master backend in the could or internal exchange server? I saw something like this mentioned in a forum saying it could be done with office 365 and sharepoint. 

If this is the case ---> Can some one please tell me what Sharepoint version should I buy? and is there a good guide out there explaining how to do this?

2) If having a local copy of the back end in each computer and sync with a master is not possible, then what are my options to host the back end in a could ? Would this increase the speed?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Cheers!

Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:51 AM

All replies

• Re 1: No. There are finer points, but the practical answer is still No.

Re 2: Options include:
    a: Use Remote Desktop to have remote users run a session on a Terminal Server. In this configuration all queries are local and thus fast. Requires Terminal Server CALs.
    b: Upsize the BE to SQL Server which should provide decent performance from remote locations. YMMV.
    c: Use a completely different technology such as a MVC web application.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:07 AM
  • Thank you so much for you quick reply. 

1) What are good terminal services that I can host my backend?  If it is hosted in a terminal server, would all users access the same front end or would they each have a different front end in their local machine and those connected to the back end in the terminal server? '

2) Would up sizing BE to a SQL server increase the performance noticeably?  

3) Is there an easy way to convert the existing Access application to a more advance MVC like structure?

4) Publishing BE to a sharepoint server? Is that a good idea? Will that increase performance?

Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:31 AM
  • No mention of what the front end is but even if it is the Access application itself you may want to consider migrating the data to a SQL Server database or other server based database. SQL Server Migration Assistant is a good tool for this purpose once you have SQL Server set up and configured. You can still use the Access application as a front end to the data once it has been moved to SQL Server, either using direct connections (DAO or ADO) or by replacing the local Access tables with linked tables to the SQL Server database.

Access is a file type database and not very well suited for concurrent multi user access over a network, especially as the number of users grow. It is prone to corruption and performance issues under this type of configuration.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:31 PM