VS2008 - Links from start page and Help not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Ive been doing some searching on the forums and have tried the fixes.  Nothing seems to be helping me resolve this issue.

Case: WinXP, VS2008
    From the start page on VS, clicking on any link (as in "Whats new in Visual Basic?")  will return the following link

ms-help://MS.VSCC.v90/dv_commoner/html/1702ec84-76f9-4a82-9043-9ab8acb8aa5e.htm
    Visual Studio
    Information Not Found
    The information that you are trying to access could not be found. Various events could have caused this error.

Now, this occurs on each and every link from the start page of VS.  Second to this, when I load the Microsoft Document Explorer and do a search, MSDN Online returns the following information

<-- BEGINNING OF ERROR MESSAGE (this tag is made by me, trsix) -->

Search Failed
    The request failed with the erroro message:
    --
    <html><head><title>Object Moved</title></head><body>
    <h2>Object moved to <a href="http://services.msdn.microsoft.com/orcas/search/service.asmx">here</a>.</h2>
    </body></html>
    Click help for more information

<-- END OF ERROR MESSAGE -->
    And yes, it actually displays the raw html code

Ive not found any problems with this machine.  Access to the internet is completely available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• Thanks for reporting this issue. I was able to reproduce the error, but only when clicking the link: "Creating Your First Application" link on the Start page.  This happens when I have the Visual Basic profile selected, and we are currently investigating this broken link.

To help me troubleshoot the other errors you are experiencing, can you provide some additional information about your environment, such as:

1.  Whiich profile did you selected when you installed Visual Studio? (i.e. did you indicate that Visual Basic is the environment you use most?)

2.  In your Help options, (open Help, then go to Tools|Options), which setting do you have selected under "When loading Help content"?

3.  Did you install the MSDN Library locally on your computer?

4.  Does the error within Document Explorer occur whenever you perform a search? If it only occurs on certain searches, please give me an example of the search string you used?

Thanks!

Kathleen

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:33 AM
  • I have a similar problem, from the Start Page under Visual Basic Developer News I get "The current news channel might not be a valid RSS feed, or your internet connection might be unavailable.  To change the news channel, on the Tools menu, click Options, then expand Environment and click Startup".  I tried going to Tools Options Environment however, I don't see a Startup?  I don't have any problems connecting to the internet, however I am at work and we do have a proxy server and a firewall.  My online help doesn't work either.   I installed VS2008 ee at home and all these things work fine.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:08 PM
  • TODAY I suddenly started getting this exact same error when I click on the Search Tab in Microsoft Document Explorer.  That's after hitting F1 in C# code from VS2008 and getting "Information not found".  It was working fine yesterday and it has worked every day for the past few months.  Today it's like the online stuff just went away.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Suddenly, I getted same message today.
    So I restart VS2008,  all works fine.

Friday, November 13, 2009 2:26 AM
  • I was getting the same response in VB Express, but not in C# Express. I went to options and set it to look for local help only. Restarted VB, then reset options for Online first. Now its working.
    Ed
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:15 PM