No Networking Option in Azure VM Settings menu RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to add a second NIC to my Azure VM, but do not seem to be able to see the option for this under settings in the VM portal?

I have confirmed that the VM set up is capable of having 2 NIC's linked, but am not able to set the second NIC up due to the option not being available.

Microsoft Docs talk about simply going to the option under settings, and clicking networking, but is it possible that there needs to be a Virtual Network set up first that the NIC's then need to work off, and before configuring would i need to set up interfaces?

Sorry if this seems like a basic question, but am a little stuck.

Friday, June 15, 2018 8:14 AM

All replies

• You will need to stop the VM in order to add a network interface as per the article here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-network-network-interface-vm

1. Sign in to the Azure portal.
    2. In the search box at the top of the portal, type the name of the VM to which you want to add the network interface, or browse for the VM by selecting All services, and then Virtual machines. After you've found the VM, select it. The VM must support the number of network interfaces you want to add. To find out how many network interfaces each VM size supports, see Sizes for Linux virtual machines in Azure or Sizes for Windows virtual machines in Azure.
    3. Select Overview, under SETTINGS. Select Stop, and then wait until the Status of the VM changes to Stopped (deallocated).
    4. Select Networking, under SETTINGS.
    5. Select Attach network interface. From the list of network interfaces that aren't currently attached to another VM, select the one you'd like to attach.

Note

The network interface you select cannot have accelerated networking enabled, cannot have an IPv6 address assigned to it, and must exist in the same virtual network as the one that contains the network interface currently attached to the VM.

If you don't have an existing network interface, you must first create one. To do so, select Create network interface. To learn more about how to create a network interface, see Create a network interface. To learn more about additional constraints when adding network interfaces to virtual machines, see Constraints.

6. Select OK.

7. Select Overview, under SETTINGS, and then Start to start the virtual machine.
    8. Configure the VM operating system to use multiple network interfaces properly. Learn how to configure Linuxor Windows for multiple network interfaces

Friday, June 15, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Just checking in if you have had a chance to see James's previous response. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote the question. If you have any further query do let us know.
    Monday, June 18, 2018 8:40 PM