HOW LONG Mirror server on-line. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

How Long Mirror server in on-line. 12 hours or 1day ?

Failover occur from Pricipal server Mirror, Mirror server become as Principal in mirror server we have to maintain backups of the databases for this we have create Maintaince paln is it correct or not please correct me.

Could you please guide us on the above.

Tx

Subu

subu

Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Subu!

I am not sure that I can grasp any of the questions you are asking... I will still try to answer, but in case I totally missed the point please give me some more insight.

If you are running Database Mirroring (and not AlwaysOn Availability Groups) you don't do backups on the mirror (except for the system DBs of course.) You can still have a maintenance plan setup to backup all DBs as the Maintenance Plan will automatically decide which DBs to backup and therefore ignores the ones that are in Mirror mode.

Regarding your first question: The mirror server is never online, unless you have a database snapshot on it. If your question was around finding out when a failover happened: Your best bet there would be to look into SQL Errorlog. DBM logs a message when a role change happens.

Cheers

Lucifer

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Monday, January 7, 2013 5:04 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Subu!

I am not sure that I can grasp any of the questions you are asking... I will still try to answer, but in case I totally missed the point please give me some more insight.

If you are running Database Mirroring (and not AlwaysOn Availability Groups) you don't do backups on the mirror (except for the system DBs of course.) You can still have a maintenance plan setup to backup all DBs as the Maintenance Plan will automatically decide which DBs to backup and therefore ignores the ones that are in Mirror mode.

Regarding your first question: The mirror server is never online, unless you have a database snapshot on it. If your question was around finding out when a failover happened: Your best bet there would be to look into SQL Errorlog. DBM logs a message when a role change happens.

Cheers

Lucifer

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Monday, January 7, 2013 5:04 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

with database mirroring, depending on your licencing, failed over databases on the mirror typically have to return to the principal within 90 days.

If the databases have failed over to the mirror, then yes you would treat them as active databases with regular maintenance, backups, monitoring etc..

Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

If failover occurs from Pricipal server Mirror, Mirror server become as Principal in mirror server then yes you need to take backups of mirror server.

You can create Maintaince plan for mirror server to create backups for you.

Please help and appreciate others by using these features: "Propose As Answer", "Vote As Helpful" and "Mark As Answer"
    Waqas
    MS(SPM), MS(E&F), MCT, MCTS, MCITP, MCSE, MCPD, MCSD, MCDBA , Author
    Twitter: @waqas8777
    Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/waqasmahmood1

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:59 AM
  • Hi,

Your licencing scheme defines the failover time, failed over databases on the mirror will have to return to the principal within 90 days.

Hope this solves your problem.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 10:49 AM
  • Hello Subu,

Technically, it looks a fine approach depending that you want backup DR database to cover further failure till prod is been fixed.

But mate, what is your exact question? what are trying to achieve?

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful, if a post was useful to help other user's find a solution quicker.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Hi Sabu,

Just checking  i hope your porblem is solved?

Please help and appreciate others by using these features: "Propose As Answer", "Vote As Helpful" and "Mark As Answer"

Waqas

MS(SPM), MS(E&F), MCP, MCT, MCTS, MCITP, MCSE, MCPD, MCSD, MCDBA , Author
    Twitter: @waqas8777
    Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/waqasm1

Monday, January 7, 2013 11:32 AM