none
Submission form True/False RRS feed

Answers

• Scott:

I appreciate your response to my over-reaction. I am generally not thin-skinned about anything, but between the race against time with XP going out, and my need to get rid of my old frontpage website as quickly as possible, I guess I blew my stack a bit, and I apologize.  

I probably should have delved more into the css formatting of the form before asking the question about the true/false issue

In regards to learning html and css, I opted to learn the basics with Timothy Kywn's tutorial at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL77A2C1E3078480DA, which I feel has started me on my way with it.

I have done an unfinished test index page http://www.werenovate.net/index.html, which, while maybe not totally up to proper standards, has been done entirely using an external style sheet, along with a few other pages.

However, I don't expect to be able to do any of this that well for a while. If I can get most of the new site at least functional for now, including a couple of functioning submission forms, I'm happy.

I think the term "auto-styles" (correct me if I am wrong), is what EW creates from its top menu, which I am trying to avoid as much as possible in favour of formatting entirely through css.

Regardless, I do appreciate your help and will try to follow your advice on much of this.

Ron

• Marked as answer by Aston W Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:50 AM
    Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:40 AM

All replies

• Ron, those checkboxes are converted when rendered into standard HTML inputs of type checkbox. Since a checkbox only has two states, checked or unchecked, it returns a binary value. If you test the "checked" state of a checkbox, it must return a value of true or false. What you do with that value is up to you. For example (pseudocode)

if checkbox1.checked then    'checkbox1 is checked, returns true
       isOwner = "yes"
    else                         'checkbox1 is unchecked, returns false
       isOwner = "no"
    endif

Once again, your question is confusing. You should always make clear what you want to DO, not how to change a standard value. What, exactly, are you trying to do, and why are values of "true" and "false" not acceptable?

BTW, I should note that you are following very bad practice. You have a bunch of auto-styles, probably created using the formatting toolbar, instead of creating styles with meaningful names and extracting them to an external stylesheet for centralized control and to allow for reuse. Bad idea. Quick, what does "auto-style6" apply to? How about "auto-style4?"

It really does you no good to convert from FrontPage if you are going to adopt bad practices when using Expression Web, you know...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:38 PM
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 10:57 PM
  • You need to add the value attribute, like so:

<input name="I am the Owner" type="checkbox" value="Yes"/>

This will only show the response "Yes" if the check box is ticked, but won't show anything if it is un-checked.

However using radio buttons will give you "Yes" or "No"; set up radio button 'groups' for each response, so you can choose either the "yes" or "no" response.

<input name="I am the Owner" type="radio" value="Yes" />
    <input name="I am the Owner" type="radio" value="No" />
    <input name="Contractor" type="radio" value="Yes" />
    <input name="Contractor" type="radio" value="No" />
    <input name="Other" type="radio" value="Yes" />
    <input name="Other" type="radio" value="No"/>

Hoping that's what you're after.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

Saturday, March 29, 2014 10:57 PM
  • Andrew, did you actually test that markup before you posted? Are you aware that it creates six radio buttons, with the "yes" and "no" undifferentiated?

Yeah, didn't think so. You so rarely do...

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:10 PM
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:09 PM
  • Scott:

Please...for crying out loud...

I made it a point earlier to explain that this was my first attempt at doing a form within EW, from which I was using the CFTRX form solution.

What you are seeing is not the adaption of "bad practices" but the early learning curve of someone who is trying to make a transition from years of using frontpage to a newer, unfamiliar system.

I'm not following any "Practices at all-good or bad." Just testing and experimenting with the early creation of  forms within expressionweb. If you do not have the patience to help those of us who are making the same transition, then maybe it would be best to let this and other questions go and wait for me or the next person to ask or do something that you feel is worthy of your time without the pointedly negative tone.

IT DOESN'T HELP AND I CAN'T LEARN ANYTHING FROM IT. Frankly, I don't see how anyone can. All that winds up doing is discouraging people.

I get that you know your stuff. That's great, and I respect that.

I think it is pretty clear as to what I am trying to do with this particular form. Obviously, there are mistakes in the way I have set up this first form and it would be more helpful to have them pointed out and a better solutions suggested.

I am at this point unfamiliar with much of the terminology, and do not understand your question (not sure its really a question..."Quick...what does autostyle 6 apply to?"

At this stage, your "psuedocode" above is meaningless to me, as I simply "haven't gotten there" yet.
    However, the form submission works. That's a milestone for me, despite the apparent contempt you have.

At this point, I have no idea what autostyle6 is? I'm sure I will, but I don't right now.

Shoot me.

Ron

Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:53 AM
  • Ron:

Here's the thing--two things:

1. This isn't an ASP.NET forum nor a CTRFX forum. The fact that you may eventually use the form in EW is immaterial. This is not the place for that question, since few people here use ASP.NET and there is a forum for that, to which you have previously been pointed.

2. We can't teach you the basics--not in HTML, CSS, ASP.NET, PHP or anything else. Forums are inappropriate substitutes for planned, structured learning. It's all available in well-thought out tutorials elsewhere on the web and it's a waste of volunteers' time to reinvent that wheel. If you are going to use ASP.NET solutions, it is your responsibility to learn it on your own time--first.

Have you noticed how few people are active in helping in this forum? It's a very small group of people, and it always has been, and you are bordering on treating them like your private consultants.  You have asked a lot of questions in here--and extended follow-ups--many of which are off-topic or which could have been answered by your own research in the appropriate learning resources and learning the basics.

People here--especially Scott and Kathy and Clark--have given a LOT of their time; it's your responsibility to make it as easy and enjoyable and rewarding as possible. If you're no longer making beginner mistakes like "auto-style6", that's great. But have you any idea what it's like to be presented with a page load of that dreck after all the work people have done to try to help you avoid it? That's not cool.

You must put every ounce of your effort into learning the basics of every technology you are using, solving your own problems, and finding answers on your own. Or just hire a web designer; you could have had a fully functioning, professional looking, well designed, standards-compliant site working for you months and months ago.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:05 AM
  • Whoa! Ron, I was simply bringing to your attention, now, while you're in learning mode, and early in your transition process while it is easiest to correct, that creating auto-styles instead of creating meaningfully named, prior planned styles is a bad practice. It was intended as constructive criticism, to encourage you to adopt appropriate development practices. Frankly, you should be doing that before you concern yourself with form development.

What I was trying to get across with the question, 'Quick, what does "auto-style6" apply to? How about "auto-style4?"' was that by creating auto-styles, instead of planning your styling in advance, will make it very difficult to maintain the site going forward into the future. And the problem quickly becomes systemic, "baked in" to the site and more and more difficult to correct as time goes on.

I have absolutely no idea where in my post you found any indication that I hold you in contempt. Even re-reading it now I cannot find any sign of it. I can only presume that you are so thin-sknned that you find any suggestion that you are not doing something correctly to be an indication of contempt.

As for the form, and your question, as I stated above, your question makes no sense as formulated. When your ASP.NET page is processed and rendered, it is sent to the browser as pure HTML, which is actually all that the browser understands—they do not grok ASP.NET code. That is why I explained that they are "... rendered into standard HTML inputs of type checkbox." There are several aspects of that control that can be passed to the form handler—the value, which you must explicitly assign (and which you have not assigned to any of those checkboxes, and therefore cannot retrieve in the form handler), and the state of the checkbox—checked or unchecked—at the time that the form was submitted. Actually, the unchecked state is only indicated by its absence in the data submitted to the form handler. The checked state is the only one actually reported.

This is why your question makes no sense as asked. In what context are you seeing the values "true" and "false?" Why is it necessary to have them be "yes" and "no" instead? Where are those values used? What are you actually trying to DO? We cannot answer your questions unless you state them in a way that they can be understood. We cannot see your screen, and you must not assume that we understand the context in which you are seeing these values.

And, Ron, although you may not like to hear it, you have been here a long time now, and have been urged to avail yourself of the training offered in the Learning Resources and Reference Sites section of the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here, in particular Cheryl's "Build a Basic Web Site" video tutorial, at http://by-expression.com/page/EW-Video-Basic-Website-tutorial, and then following that up with the free mini-courses at http://w3schools.com/html/ and http://w3schools.com/css/. It does not appear that you have done so, because you are still making mistakes that you should not be making at this stage if you had, such as the auto-styles discussed above, and inline styling such as 'style="font-size:Large;width:194px;"'.

You speak of "...the early learning curve of someone who is trying to make a transition from years of using frontpage to a newer, unfamiliar system." As we have explained numerous times before, EW is a professional development application which requires you to learn HTML and CSS. You should concentrate on that first. Since the ctrfx forms are converted to HTML when rendered, you cannot understand how they work unless you understand the way the corresponding HTML controls work. And that is part of why you seem to have a problem even asking questions in a form that they can actually be answered, as in this case.

And I will repeat, please reformulate your question, and the best way to do that would probably be to explain what you are trying to do, and why you find yourself currently unable to do it.

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, March 30, 2014 5:07 AM
  • Scott:

I appreciate your response to my over-reaction. I am generally not thin-skinned about anything, but between the race against time with XP going out, and my need to get rid of my old frontpage website as quickly as possible, I guess I blew my stack a bit, and I apologize.  

I probably should have delved more into the css formatting of the form before asking the question about the true/false issue

In regards to learning html and css, I opted to learn the basics with Timothy Kywn's tutorial at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL77A2C1E3078480DA, which I feel has started me on my way with it.

I have done an unfinished test index page http://www.werenovate.net/index.html, which, while maybe not totally up to proper standards, has been done entirely using an external style sheet, along with a few other pages.

However, I don't expect to be able to do any of this that well for a while. If I can get most of the new site at least functional for now, including a couple of functioning submission forms, I'm happy.

I think the term "auto-styles" (correct me if I am wrong), is what EW creates from its top menu, which I am trying to avoid as much as possible in favour of formatting entirely through css.

Regardless, I do appreciate your help and will try to follow your advice on much of this.

Ron

• Marked as answer by Aston W Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:50 AM
    Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:40 AM