none
printerExtensionUrl to link to connected printer URL? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using my v4 printer driver in an enhanced point and print scenario.

For the Enh.P&P clients I want to use the manifest.ini's 'printerextensionurl' to link to an installable print extension [PE].
    My connected printer component has a built-in web service on which I store the PE install .exe
    My print queue is always of type standard TCP/IP port.

Q1: Is there a mechanism with which my enh. point & print clients can link to the PE install .exe on my printer?
    F.e.:
    Q2: Can I use the TCP/IP port's printer name or IP address as first part of the printerexensionurl?

Kind regards,
    Johan

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Johan,

Using the manifest in the driver, it's not possible to use the PrinterExtensionUrl entry to point to a device-local or server-local URL for the printer extension.

It is possible to override the PrinterExtensionUrl on the server, however. This still must be a fully qualified URL, but you could address it to the local printer. You could automate this process pretty easily for your customers, as the information just gets stored off in the registry. This is described on MSDN here. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj659902(v=vs.85).aspx.

Monday, June 30, 2014 9:05 PM