none
Unable to Run Outlook Add-In - PDB Problems In Visual Studio 2010 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

I am working on an Outlook 2010 add-in in C#, and at present I am unable to get even the most basic element to run. Whenever I run the add-in, I would usually receive the following error:

Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.

Exception Text:

System.ArgumentException: Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid. at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.NameSpaceClass.GetFolderFromID(String EntryIDFolder, Object EntryIDStore) at OutlookAddIn2.ThisAddIn.ThisAddIn_Startup(Object sender, EventArgs e) at Microsoft.Office.Tools.AddInImpl.OnStartup() at Microsoft.Office.Tools.AddInImpl.AddInExtensionImpl.Microsoft.Office.Tools.EntryPoint.OnStartup() at Microsoft.Office.Tools.AddInBase.OnStartup() at OutlookAddIn2.ThisAddIn.FinishInitialization() at Microsoft.Office.Tools.AddInBase.Microsoft.Office.Tools.EntryPoint.FinishInitialization() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.ExecuteCustomization.ExecutePhase(ExecutionPhases executionPhases) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.ExecuteCustomization.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.IExecuteCustomization2.ExecuteEntryPoints()

None of even the most basic pieces of my program would run, I am simply trying to iterate through the items in a Mail folder and print out the subjects in order. I ran into a forum post that suggested that perhaps some modules weren't loading, and upon checking I discovered that none of the Office or core library (or even my own project) DLLs were loading. I told each one to download from the Microsoft Symbol Server, which allowed all but one DLL to load. Sadly, that DLL is the one for my project, and I suspect that this is why I am getting the above run-time error. When I try to tell VS to load the PDB file straight from my project's bin/debug folder, it says that "A matching symbol file was not found in this folder," even though the PDB is plainly there. At the suggestion of several other forum posts, I have tried to delete the PDB file and restart VS and rebuild the project, I have set the language used explicitly to C# (not Default), and I continue to receive the error whenever I run the addin. Strangely, since setting the language the PickFolder() now runs and allows me to select a folder, though I still get the error when I hit OK.

Some forums say to go into Compiler settings or to Linker settings, but aside from command line options (that never seem valid) I can't find them in my VS 2010 Pro. How does one acces this? Also, is there any other solution that I could try that might solve this problem? Thank you in advance for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Tim Van Cleave

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:00 PM

All replies