none
Performance Issue with Sql dataReader RRS feed

• Question

• Hi , 

I am using MVP pattern for development of application . In data access layer , stored procedure is called , reader is looped over  and entities are populated. 

I am facing a performance issue with one of stored procedures.  Pseudo code looks like 

while(dr.read())

{

RebateItemDetail _rebateItem = new RebateItemDetail

{

property1 = reader.getstring(0),

property2 = trader.getint32(1).....and go on 

}

list.add(rebateItem);

}

There are around 2000 records so it takes lot of time . 

Strange thing is , there is another SP which returns almost 4000 + records but it gets executed within short time than first one only difference is 

while(dr.read())

{

RebateItemDetail _rebateItem = new RebateItemDetail();

_rebateItem.Property1 = reader.getstring(0);

_rebateItem.Property2 = reader.getint32(1);

.... and go on

list.add(rebateItem);

}

Does it make any difference in performance because of different ways used to map reader values with entities ? 

Any help will be really appreciated. 

Thanks 

Siddhesh 

Siddhesh Sawant

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:03 PM

Answers

• Does it make any difference in performance because of different ways used to map reader values with entities ? 

Siddhesh Sawant

It shouldn't.  The two options are effectively the same, and should perform almost identically.

The difference has to be in your stored procedure or elsewhere.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Friday, October 5, 2012 6:26 PM

All replies

• Does it make any difference in performance because of different ways used to map reader values with entities ? 

Siddhesh Sawant

It shouldn't.  The two options are effectively the same, and should perform almost identically.

The difference has to be in your stored procedure or elsewhere.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Friday, October 5, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Hi Read , 

Thanks for answer. 

But strange thing is when I debug both snippets of data reader , first one takes lesser time than second . And first dataset is more than 5000 + records and more columns than second . 

Thanks 

Siddhesh

Siddhesh Sawant

Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Hi Read ,

You are correct . Issue is at stored procedure end . Sp has simple select with Left outer JOIN which returns 2000 + records.

Stored procedure performance is improved if I write (NoLock) after a table in select statement .

Strange things is , SP already has transaction isolation level as Read Uncommitted .

Not sure why it does not apply and explicit No Lock works ?

thanks

Siddhesh

Siddhesh Sawant

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:07 AM