Enforcing app updates? RRS feed

• Question

• As an app developer I am interested in the restrictions that go along with posting an app and then enforcing necessary updates later down the line.  

1. Is it possible to restrict that use of the app if there is an update for it available in the store?
    2. Is there a way to require the user to update the app?  

I would like to do this without making any changes to the code that would check for updates itself.  I would like to do this by having the Windows Store keep track of updates and prohibit the use of the app for those who have not updated to the latest version?

NOTE: From what I can tell this is not possible without manually adding code to check for a possible update and then blocking key features in the application if one is needed.  I am hoping this is not the case, but I am fully prepared if this is the only solution.  

NOTE: This is something MS should really look into though as I am sure companies will want to keep consumers on the most up-to-date code stream to prevent fragmentation of the application and ultimately bad press if certain features stop working due to back-end code changes.

Monday, August 5, 2013 7:01 PM

Answers

• This is not possible without having the code check for it. By default the user can keep using the app until they update it, but apps can do their own check and just redirect to the update page.

On Windows 8.1 Preview apps will automatically update rather than requiring the user to update through the store; however, users can disable this so servers need to be able to either handle or block old versions themselves.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Paul (Bioc) Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:26 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 8:21 PM

All replies

• This is not possible without having the code check for it. By default the user can keep using the app until they update it, but apps can do their own check and just redirect to the update page.

On Windows 8.1 Preview apps will automatically update rather than requiring the user to update through the store; however, users can disable this so servers need to be able to either handle or block old versions themselves.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Paul (Bioc) Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:26 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 8:21 PM
  • Thanks Rob!  I had a feeling this was the case, but I was hoping it was not.  I guess it makes sense though.  I will just have to keep this in mind while developing in the future.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:26 PM