Central Management Servers RRS feed

• Question

• How to add a new server to CMS using SQL login in SQL2012?
    • Edited by dumbDBA Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:34 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:26 AM

Answers

• Hi dumbDBA,

We are not able to add a new server to Central Management Server(CMS) using SQL login in SQL Server 2012. As stated in this article, Central Management Servers and subordinate registered servers can be registered only by using Windows Authentication, moreover, I confirm this behavior by testing CMS in SQL Server 2012. Each time, when I create CMS using SQL Server authentication and add a new server to the CMS, I will get an error message.

However, using local server groups, you are able to add new server by using SQL Server authentication.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 30, 2016 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi dumpDBA,

How To Use The Code to Register Servers in SSMS

1. Copy and paste the code into Notepad or a PowerShell ISE window, and save it as a ps1 file, let's say, it is saved as:

c:\temp\register_svr.ps1

2. Create an INI file with your required folder/server information and save it to a folder, let's say, it is saved as:

c:\temp\server_list.txt

3. From SSMS, right-click on any SQL Server instance in "Object Explorer" and start the SQLPS environment as shown below:

start_sqlps.jpg

4. In the new opened SQLPS window, run the following two lines of code:

cd c:\temp
    ./register_svr.ps1

run_script.jpg

5. Go back to your Registered Servers in SSMS and right click on Database Engine and select Refresh.  You should now see the new list of servers.

Refer following link

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3252/automate-registering-and-maintaining-servers-in-sql-server-management-studio-ssms/

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:53 AM
  • Hi dumbDBA,

We are not able to add a new server to Central Management Server(CMS) using SQL login in SQL Server 2012. As stated in this article, Central Management Servers and subordinate registered servers can be registered only by using Windows Authentication, moreover, I confirm this behavior by testing CMS in SQL Server 2012. Each time, when I create CMS using SQL Server authentication and add a new server to the CMS, I will get an error message.

However, using local server groups, you are able to add new server by using SQL Server authentication.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 30, 2016 7:03 AM