On board Audio device is not functional

Question

• Sorry if this question has already been asked but: I have an on board audio card, the drivers are all on on the pc but windows 8 will not use them. It's a Realtek HD I believe. My end result here would preferably be to get this device fully functional for use please help or at least point me in the right direction please

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:20 AM

Answers

• Hey Camchin,

That message means that your Windows Developer Preview DVD or USB drive is needed to complete the reset process. Try inserting your Windows Developer Preview DVD or USB and then try the reset process again. This should then allow you to get past the message you listed above.

Note: During the reset process your computer will restart and you may see a message that says "Press any key to boot from...", be sure to not press any keys. Once the waiting period for that message has passed you will be taken back into the reset process and it will complete.

Steven
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:54 AM

All replies

• hi there,

to my understaning, your peripherals are all recognized and drivers supplied, but no sound comes out.

if this is correct, you might want to toggle on the control pannel applet for your Realtek to see wich audio out device is checked as default out.

sometime it s just HDMI, while speakers ar connected to audio out... just my two cents.

Best regards,

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Monday, October 10, 2011 11:36 AM
  • Camchin,

Have you tried with latest drivers from Realtek website or from Windows Update?

Monday, October 10, 2011 2:23 PM
    Answerer
  • I have tried both and neither are working
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:15 PM
  • sir, same problem here with me,

i am DELL 1440 inspiron user with IDT audio hardware,,works great with windows 7 but in developer preview when i install the same drivers which is the latest one ,,it shows an error saying the hardware isn't compatible or sometimes it says windows registry problem.

kindly help.

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Friday, October 14, 2011 6:36 AM
  • i tried that, and all it says is the issue is that windows has been set to never update that section, and i don't know where to tell it otherwise

Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:33 PM
  • I have seem problem with sound card .Not can open Windows Audio Service. 

Problems found  " One or more audio service isn't running"    No audio devices instaled ?

Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Hey Camchin,

You can manually check for updates and change your Windows Update settings by following the steps below:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Windows Update
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Check for updates

Once in this screen you can click Check for updates to manually check for updates. You can also click Change settings to change the settings that are related to Windows Update.

@Marian Angheluta
    Please see the responses that have been provided in your thread linked below:
    Sound card not work

Steven
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hello Camchin,

Check the following services:

On the Start page, type in Services.msc.
    Go to Windows Audio.
    Check to see if the Startup type is set to Automatic and the Service Status is running.

Under the Log on Tab:
    It should be set to Log on as: This account
    Local Service

Go to Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.
    Check to see if the Startup type is set to Automatic and the Service Status is running.

Under the Log on Tab:
    It should be set to Log on as: Local System account.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hey camchin, i've had this exact same problem, unsure whether or not you are having it with a laptop or desktop but i imagine the fix will carry over. Im assuming you've tried a whole slew of drivers and fixes and still nothing?

It isnt a problem with any audio services, it just seems that windows 8 prefers different drivers than those for 7. Whilst researching mine, trying to remember the exact name of my audio device, listed by AIDA64 as being Realtek, listed in my motherboard manual as being VIA, i found that none of these driver solutions works. However, when i remembered who actually makes the base components that are getting rebranded, i remembered to check Foxconn, and found that their HD audio drivers worked perfectly in win8.

You should be able to pick some up from http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/downloads.aspx , there isnt a section available to pick the win8 dev prev so simply run the closest available win7 installation package as an administrator. Hope this helps and that you get back to us telling us your result

• Proposed as answer by Richwn12 Monday, October 24, 2011 5:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Richwn12 Thursday, November 03, 2011 6:37 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Everything you listed matches my set up except Windows audio is not running and when i tell it to start it comes up with the following:

"Windows could not start the Windows Audio service on Local Computer.

Error 1297: A Privilege that the service requires to funvtion properly does not exist in the service account configuration. You may use the Service Microsoft Managment Console (MMC) snap-in (services.msc)and the Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the services configuration and the account configuration."

I have not been able to find either service mentioned

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Hello Camchin,

Since you are getting error 1297, we need to check if the Windows Audio Service Local Service account has the correct privileges.
    To resolve this problem, make sure that the SERVICE account includes the Create Global Objects policy.

Go to Local Security Policy.
    Go to Control Panel, click on administrative Tools. Click on Local Security Policy.
    Expand Local Policies
    Click on User Rights Assignment. On the right pane, scroll to Create Global Objects.
    Verify if LOCAL SERVICE is listed under this user right. If not, double click and select Add User or Group.
    Type in LOCAL SERVICE.
    Click OK.

Reboot.
    Now try again and see if you can start the Windows Audio Service.

If still not working, check to see what privileges the Local Service account are enabled and list them for us.
    Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:10 PM
  • I HAVE ALL AUDIO FUNCTIONS EVEN THOUGH THE DEV MGR SAYS THERE ARE NO MIC , SPKR AND OTHER DEVICE DRIVERS INSTALLED, THIS MAY BE A BUG IN THE WAY WINDOWS AND THE DEVICE MANAGER REPORT TO EACH OTHER...

I DID DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL AC'97 LATEST DRIVERS AND MY HP  AUDIO DRIVERS GET THE AUDIO WORKING AFTER WIN 8 INSTALL 

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:43 PM
  • The security policy contained LOCAL SERVICE already, and I am sorry I have not been able to find the privileges. To be honest I don't know how anymore.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Hey Camchin,

Let's try refreshing your PC to see if that is able to correct the privilege problem that you are encountering. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

To refresh your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click General in the left column
    • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be provided on the screen to refresh your PC.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, October 31, 2011 7:00 PM
  • The refresh didn't work either
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Hey Chamchin,

Try entering the Services window and ensure that all of these services are started. To enter the Services window:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Services
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click View Local Services

Then check to see that the following services are running:

• Multimedia Class Scheduler
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • DCOM Server Process Launcher
    • RPC Endpoint Mapper
    • Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

If any of those services are not running, right click the service and click Start. Then try to start the Windows Audio service.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 12:25 AM
  • All listed services are running, sorry.
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 12:43 AM
  • Hey Camchin,

I was able to get the same error message as you by changing the Log On information for the Windows Audio service to the Local System. Try following these steps to set the Windows Audio service to log on as Local Service:

1. Enter the Start screen
    2. Type Services
    3. Click Settings in the right column
    4. Click View Local Services
    5. Right click the Windows Audio service
    6. Click Properties
    7. Click the Log On tab
    8. Click the Radio button next to This account:
    9. Type Local Service in the text box to the right of This account:
    10. Select the Password: box and delete the characters so that a blank box is displayed
    11. Select the Confirm password: box and delete the characters so that a blank box is displayed
    12. Click OK
    13. Right click the Windows Audio service
    14. Click Start

Steven
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 12:59 AM
  • I still get error 1927, and when I go back into it the password is back
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 1:11 AM
  • The password dots returning is normal once you return to the Log On tab. In this case the password dots there to hide the password of the account that is listed in the This account: box (which happens to be a blank password for Local Service).

The next step will be to try to reset your PC. Here is what will happen when you reset your PC:

• Your personal files and apps will be removed.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

If you have data that you don't want to lose during the reset, please take a look at the information provided in the link below for some ideas on backing up your data.
    Microsoft at Home - How to back up files and recover data

To reset your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click General in the left column
    • Under Reset your PC and start over, click Get started

Then follow the prompts that will appear on the screen.

If once you complete the reset process you still encounter this problem, the final step will be to submit feedback regarding this problem. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 2:34 AM
  • When I try to reset and start over a message comes up saying:

"Insert your Windows installation or recovery media.

Some files are missing. This media will provide these files."

Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:51 AM
  • Hey Camchin,

That message means that your Windows Developer Preview DVD or USB drive is needed to complete the reset process. Try inserting your Windows Developer Preview DVD or USB and then try the reset process again. This should then allow you to get past the message you listed above.

Note: During the reset process your computer will restart and you may see a message that says "Press any key to boot from...", be sure to not press any keys. Once the waiting period for that message has passed you will be taken back into the reset process and it will complete.

Steven
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:54 AM
  • One problem with that I don't have the media on a disk or USB, I don't know if I have an extra DVD to put it on, though I may have just gotten a USB to put it on. Where would I get the media at this juncture?
    Friday, November 11, 2011 11:29 PM
  • The link below will take you to the download site for the three versions of the Windows Developer Preview .ISO (32-bit, 64-bit, and 64-bit with Developer Tools) files:
    Windows Developer Preview downloads

Once you have the .ISO file for your version you can burn it to a DVD or create a bootable USB drive.

Steven
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:48 AM