Problem accessing one site collection from one web server RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 WFE Sharepoint 2010 (Enterprise edition) servers running many site collections.  There is one particular site collection named UL which I'm having trouble accessing on the second web server.  The UL site collection comes up fine on the first web server.  All of the other site collections on the Sharepoint farm work fine on both web servers.  So, this tells me that there is something unique about this site which is not available on the second WFE server.  The UL site does have some unique solutions and features that are not present on other site collections.

This is the error that comes up when trying to access the UL site using the second web server:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request) +35
       Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest() +257
       Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPControl.EnsureSPWebRequest(SPWeb web) +364
       Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPControl.SPWebEnsureSPControl(HttpContext context) +519
       Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.GetContextWeb(HttpContext context) +26
       Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.PostResolveRequestCacheHandler(Object oSender, EventArgs ea) +917
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +79
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +170 

What can I do to figure out what's going on here? 

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:26 AM SP 2010 questions go only to SP 2010 forums AND should not be replied to until they are IN SP 2010 forums (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:02 PM

Answers

• From the stack trace it looks like some of your custom DLLs (may be a web part) is having a faulty code. I have a feeling its because of some outdated dll present in the WFE that is causing problems. 

1) how do you do deployment? if you are using solution deployments then i would ask you to retract the solution and also go to the assembly / bin directory of the web application and remove the custom DLLs from both the WFEs and do the deployment again. 

2) If you were manually copying and pasting the DLLs, this is not a good practice so quickly switch to solution deployment and in the meanwhile copy all the custom DLLs from  the WFE where the site works and paste it on the other WFE where it is not working. 

Hope this makes sense. 

Thanks, Mayur Joshi
    • Marked as answer by M Levin Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:35 PM

All replies

• From the stack trace it looks like some of your custom DLLs (may be a web part) is having a faulty code. I have a feeling its because of some outdated dll present in the WFE that is causing problems. 

1) how do you do deployment? if you are using solution deployments then i would ask you to retract the solution and also go to the assembly / bin directory of the web application and remove the custom DLLs from both the WFEs and do the deployment again. 

2) If you were manually copying and pasting the DLLs, this is not a good practice so quickly switch to solution deployment and in the meanwhile copy all the custom DLLs from  the WFE where the site works and paste it on the other WFE where it is not working. 

Hope this makes sense. 

Thanks, Mayur Joshi
    • Marked as answer by M Levin Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Hi M Levin,

I had exactly the same problem and was hoping to find the solution here. 

I continued my quest for a solution, and I managed to solve the problem by following the these steps on the dodgy Web Front End.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/josrod/archive/2007/12/12/clear-the-sharepoint-configuration-cache-for-timer-job-and-psconfig-errors.aspx

Hope this solves the problem for you too.

Thanks,

Jaap

http://blog.vossers.com
    Monday, September 5, 2011 12:37 PM

• Have you got this issue resolved ? we are facing the similar one in our WFE - SP2010. The solution provided by Japp seems to be for MOSS 2007/2003. Do you have any other comments ?
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:01 PM
  • I ended up retracting the solutions (there were many) and re-deploying the solutions to the farm.  I did some other minor things but I think that Mayur's step #1 did the trick.
    M Levin
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Thank you levin for your response

The following error is shown up on the screen while accessing the site in WFE - 2, but WFE -1 site works fine, temporarily to fix the issue we have routed all traffic to WFE -1.

:: HTTP/1.1 200 OK Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5 Date:  GMT Connection: close

we have tried with the following steps but no luck

1. Recycled the APP Pool and restarted the web-application in IIS.

2. Restarted the IIS.

No errors are logged in Event Logs, but when i looked at ULS log i see the error which you have mentioned in this post. I am very much sure that no installations or changes taken place in past 30days.

Any advise will be of great help.

• Edited by Adithya72 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Adithya,

Can you check if you are able to ping your database server from WFE 2? I have a feeling the requests from WFE 2 are not able to reach DB. 

Thanks, Mayur Joshi Blog: http://splearnings.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Mayur,

We are successful in pinging the database server from WFE 2. We also have other web applications running on WFE2, all of them are working fine, except the one which i am talking about. so it make sense that there is no problem in accessing the Database.

We even tried in rebooting the entire machine, but no luck in fixing this issue. For a temporary fix all traffic is being redirected to WFE 1.

Thanks,

Adithya

• Edited by Adithya72 Friday, September 16, 2011 12:31 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Saturday, November 4, 2017 6:07 PM