Bought an ASP.NET website, need help uploading it to server RRS feed

• Question

• User-2117220626 posted

Hi all,

First time poster here. My boss bought an ASP.NET site off flippa.com. But I'm a PHP developer so don't really know much about ASP.

I've managed to set up a Microsoft server and set up the database on there, but i'm having a timeout issue when connecting to the database. I've changed the connection string on the old site to my new credentials.

Any advice would be beneficial. :)

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

Can you give the actual error message?

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 3:52 PM
  • User-271186128 posted

Hi OshJones,

I've managed to set up a Microsoft server and set up the database on there, but i'm having a timeout issue when connecting to the database. I've changed the connection string on the old site to my new credentials.

As Mike said, please post the actual error message or explain more details about your issue (when and where you meet the timeout issue?), it might be easier for us to help you solve the problem.

If you want to set the connection time in the web.config, you can try to modify your connection string as below:

<add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=XXX;Initial Catalog=;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=XX;Password=XXXX;Connection Timeout=200" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

Best regards,
    Dillion

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 5:50 AM
  • User-2117220626 posted

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.  If the server is on the local machine, and if the before mentioned registry value does not exist or is set to 0, then the state server connection string must use either 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' as the server name.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 7:48 AM
  • User-271186128 posted

Hi OshJones,

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The network path was not found

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. More details, please refer to the following articles:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/walzenbach/2010/04/14/how-to-enable-remote-connections-in-sql-server-2008/ 

https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/05/21/sql-server-fix-error-provider-named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/

I can remotely access the database fine. It's just when i try and get the database to connect to the website there's an issue

Can you post the connection string? 

I suggest you could refer to the following article to generate the connection string from Visual Studio:

Generate or find Connection String from Visual Studio 

Best regards,
    Dillion

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:33 AM
  • User-2117220626 posted

that issue is now fixed and i'm faced with the one above.

sorry the one above should have been posted earlier, as the error I posted was the one that showed yesterday before I changed connection string. 

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:39 AM
  • User-271186128 posted

Hi OshJones,

Its OK, if your original question is solved and have another problem now, it is better to close the original threads and create a new thread, thus, it will better for us to help you solve your problem in time.

So, now, the issue is this one?

OshJones

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.  If the server is on the local machine, and if the before mentioned registry value does not exist or is set to 0, then the state server connection string must use either 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' as the server name.

As for above issue, I suggest you could refer to the following articles to check the configuration and enable remote access the database:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/walzenbach/2010/04/14/how-to-enable-remote-connections-in-sql-server-2008/ 

https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/05/21/sql-server-fix-error-provider-named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/

Then, please refer to the following article to generate the connection string from Visual Studio:

Generate or find Connection String from Visual Studio 

Best regards,
    Dillion

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:50 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

The site that you are running uses the state service for session management. This is installed as a service on a Windows server. You need to ensure that it running. See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1376717/unable-to-make-the-session-state-request-to-the-session-state-server.

Alternatively, you could change the session mode to inproc. That will result in session contents being stored in memory on the server. Whether this is an option for you, I don't know. It depends on the type of site that you are running. Typically, state server is used if the site is deployed across multiple servers for load balancing, or if contents of a session are critical to the proper working of the application.  

See more about session state modes: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178586.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:15 AM
  • User-2117220626 posted

that was the issue. thanks a lot

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:25 AM