none
SiteTrying to follow instructions RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to follow the simple instructions below.

1) In Azure portal there is "Recovery Services Vaults", no "Recovery Services"

2) There is no New > Monitoring & Management. I guess I click on the PLUS sign?

Questions:

1) For Recovery Services do I need to create a recovery VM, or everything is handled within the Vault?

2) Can the same recovery vault be used for Backup and Site Recovery?

3) Can the Site Recovery vault be used to replicate various VMs from various regions?

Monday, August 14, 2017 9:37 AM

Answers

• MS was in touch yesterday and it appears that they fixed the bug and I was able to complete the SR procedure.

Only to find out that SR is a stretch for what I need and that Backup can handle the need for restoring to a certain state. It appears that with Backup, we can

1) Restore entire VM

2) Restore specific HDs

3) Restore files.

• Marked as answer by JohnPapa05 Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

everything is handled from Azure, so no need to create VM to achieve that.

same recovery vault can be used for both Site Recovery as Azure Backup

ASR can replicate from 1 region to another, if you have multiple regions you will have to create a recovery site for each.

Cheers Christophe - Kindly click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you - www.cloudcrusader.com

Monday, August 14, 2017 9:48 AM
  • Thanks Christophe for the clear answers.

1) If I have multiple VMs in the same region, can I use one recovery vault in another region?

2) Can this recovery vault be in the same region or does have to be in a different region?

Monday, August 14, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Hi JohnPapa05,

It is always recommend by MS that you create the Recovery Services vault in the location where you want your VMs to replicate. For example, if your target location is the central US, create the vault in Central US.

Thanks,

Askwizard

Monday, August 14, 2017 12:47 PM
  • Hi, yes you can use one recovery vault for that same region, but as askwizard said, its best to deploy that in the source region.

Cheers Christophe - Kindly click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you - www.cloudcrusader.com

Monday, August 14, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Thanks for your replies. I just opened a ticket with MS, because it is not letting me proceed past the screen you see in the attachment, when I try to replicate a VM which is in North Europe

• Edited by JohnPapa05 Monday, August 14, 2017 1:13 PM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 1:13 PM
  • Hi John,

it would be appriciated by the community if you mark a reply as an answer

Monday, August 14, 2017 1:16 PM
  • I replied on the other forum thread.

Your vault or vault's resource group cannot be in the same location as your source VMs as in case of disruption, they might not be available.

Let me know if you still face any issues.

Thanks,

Sujay

Monday, August 14, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Christophe,

I cannot get past the initial screen. I opened a ticket with MS and will report on the outcome.

Monday, August 14, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Opened a ticket with MS and will report.
    Monday, August 14, 2017 2:51 PM
  • If you look in this thread we have,

"... It is always recommend by MS that you create the Recovery Services vault in the location where you want your VMs to replicate. For example, if your target location is the central US, create the vault in Central US. ..."

and

"... Your vault or vault's resource group cannot be in the same location as your source VMs as in case of disruption, they might not be available.   ..."

Do these statements conflict?

John

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:45 AM
  • Hi John,

"... Your vault or vault's resource group cannot be in the same location as your source VMs as in case of disruption, they might not be available.   ..."

is CORRECT, it should be in the recovery region!!

(sorry for the conflict)

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:41 AM
  • Hi Christophe,

Just spent more than one hour with an MS expert, who was viewing my screen.

We tried to go through a simple Backup (not Site Recovery) scenario. We created a new VM and a vault. He insisted that the vault should be in the SAME location as the VM to be backed up, in this case West Europe. We created a backup successfully and then tried to recover the backup. I was told that the recovery would have to be done on a different VM, which we specified in the process. After about 30 minutes the backup recovery did not finish and as a matter of fact the creation of the new VM had not begun. The MS expert will contact me tomorrow once he gets up to speed with the subject and hopefully we will address Site Recovery then.

Do you have a comment whether "the vault should be in the SAME location as the VM to be backed up"?

Also "Location" and "Region" sometimes are used loosely. When you say Location you mean something like West Europe and Region is something like Europe?

Regards,

John

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:37 AM
  • The backup completed and it looks OK.

The initial VM was created in location West Europe, its Resource Group in West Europe and the Vault in West Europe. It seem to work. Should there have been a problem having the VM, its Resource Group and the Vault in the same Location?

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:07 PM
  • This URL may clear the waters a bit

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/regions/

It is a bit confusing when Microsoft specifies in the URL above "West Europe" as a Region and in Azure "West Europe" is a "Location". It should more accurately be "Netherlands"

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:21 PM
  • If you wish, you may leave your feedback here. All the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Azure.

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

for 'normal' backup purposes it is advised to use the primary region. However, for disaster recovery reasoning it is better to host the Azure Site Recovery vault in the failover region.(eg North Europe if your primary region is West Europe) 

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:09 PM
  • In other words for backup one has to use the original Region/Location and for SR one can use the original Region/Location but is preferable to use another Region/Location.

iIf for SR we use another Region/Location, then we cannot have the same vault for Backup and SR, since the vault used for Backup has to be in the original Region/Location.

Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:17 AM
  • that is correct, but having 2 recovery vaults should not matter (as you pay per protected instance)

Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:33 AM
  • Thanks again Christophe.

Remember I mentioned that I was having problems following simple instructions. I just got off a 3rd or 4th confcall with MS where the MS engineer clearly stated that I am facing a bug that had been reported yesterday where it greys out (does not allow selection of certain VMs). Please see attachment. They are looking into it and will call me back when it is resolved. Feeling a bit better now ...

John

Thursday, August 17, 2017 10:35 AM
  • Have you created a support case with Azure technical support team?

If yes, provide the associated ticket number (SR) I can refer to.

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Just got this "Update" from MS. Am I on candid camera?

Hi John,

There is an internal BUG open on which the engineering team is actively working. Could you please try to enable the replication and see if the VM is still greyed out?

Thanks,

Abhi

Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:00 PM
  • MS was in touch yesterday and it appears that they fixed the bug and I was able to complete the SR procedure.

Only to find out that SR is a stretch for what I need and that Backup can handle the need for restoring to a certain state. It appears that with Backup, we can

1) Restore entire VM

2) Restore specific HDs

3) Restore files.

• Marked as answer by JohnPapa05 Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:01 AM