One Public site: www.xxx.dk and one Internal site: Intern.xxx.dk RRS feed

• Question

• User828518739 posted

Platform: IIS 6.0 - Windows 2003 Server

Public ip and DNS points to http://www.xxx.dk. On this www.xxx.dk, their will be a link to an internal https site intern.xxx.dk. Intern.xxx.dk will not be directly public, but we would like it to be reachable through the public site www.xxx.dk.

Is the way of doing this, to create these two sites in IIS, with host headers and DNS registration for intern.xxx.dk on the internal DNS. Is that enough ?, and will the link then could be directed and returned to the public, when clicked on, without it's registered in public DNS ?.

Regards Frank

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:27 PM

Answers

• User1632528892 posted

Hi,

If you publish your 'internal' site on the same IP as your external site and on the same machine then yes you will be able to reach it from the outside world, but then it won't be an internal only site as you originally stated.

If, however, you think that you can use IIS 6.0 to forward requests from one URL to another on your internal network then you are still trying to reverse proxy and IIS 6.0 cannot do this natively.

Regards,

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 3:49 AM
  • User-823196590 posted

If you just want to host two web sites on one ip and use different names, then yes, IIS can do this with the host headers feature.

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:43 AM

All replies

• User1632528892 posted

Hi,

No, I think what you are trying to achieve is reverse proxying and this cannot be done with IIS 6.0 on its own. You will have to use ISA Server or Apache to reverse proxy into your internal network.

Regards,

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:54 PM
  • User828518739 posted

Thanks for your quick reply Paul

you say it cannot be done with IIS 6.0, is it possible with IIS 7.0 then ?....

and if we don't want to install any other applications to handle the reverse proxy, the only other way is to register Intern.xxx.dk in a public DNS ?.

Thanks again

Best regards

Frank Röder 

Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:13 AM
  • User1632528892 posted

Hi,

Yes, with IIS 7 you could do this using the ARR module :

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/489/using-the-application-request-routing-module/

Regards,

Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:49 PM
  • User828518739 posted

Thanks again 

After I read this, I might have another silly question, just because I'm not quite understand it :-).

It seems like this is handling http between web servers; my issue was to sites www.xxx.dk and Intern.xxx.dk on same webserver, is that still a problem with IIS 6, as I wrote it ?.

Regards,

Monday, January 26, 2009 2:10 AM
  • User828518739 posted

Sorry to all these misleading questions. I already own xxx.dk and therefore automatically all subdomains to xxx.dk (like intern.xxx.dk) are pointing the same IP. Then I quess there is no problem having a link on xxx.dk, poiting to intern.xxx.dk, and then having IIS resolving this to the right website on the same iis server by it's host header ?.

I didn't know that I automatically owned og have every possible subdomains pointing to the same IP already.

Regards

Frank

Monday, January 26, 2009 2:35 AM
  • User1632528892 posted

Hi,

If you publish your 'internal' site on the same IP as your external site and on the same machine then yes you will be able to reach it from the outside world, but then it won't be an internal only site as you originally stated.

If, however, you think that you can use IIS 6.0 to forward requests from one URL to another on your internal network then you are still trying to reverse proxy and IIS 6.0 cannot do this natively.

Regards,

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:49 AM
  • User-823196590 posted

If you just want to host two web sites on one ip and use different names, then yes, IIS can do this with the host headers feature.

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:43 AM