none
Pricing: BizTalk Services vs. Logical Apps RRS feed

• Question

• As far as I know Microsoft will discontinue Microsoft Azure BizTalk Services (MABS) and I think Logical Apps will be become MABS v2 as a consequence. The pricing of MABS wasn't that attractive, because the pricing model wasn't a Cloud Computing approach (see e.g. this discussion), so I was happy to see that Logical Apps have such a pricing model, but....

I've just read this article:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/app-service-logic-create-EAI-logic-app-using-VETR/

There's a simple VETR scenario described which requires 4 App Services, I assume. (I think for the two 'Send HTTP Response action' you can take the same HTTPListener as for the 'Receive HTTP Request trigger', otherwise it would be 6 App Services). So this scenario has four steps just like a Bridge in MABS:

Source - Validate - Transform - Destination

When I take a look at the pricing of an App Service the smallest basic tier costs $56/mo. So this would be $224 (4x$56) in total. It doesn't come cheaply if I compare that with the pricing of MABS.

The basic tier of MABS costs $357/mo which includes 25 Bridges. That's $224 (1 Bridge) vs. $357 (25 Bridges).

I would like to see some comments here, maybe also directly from Microsoft,  but perhaps I have just missed something. Thanks

Sunday, April 12, 2015 2:07 PM

Answers

• The way that I'm reading it is that while the solution described requires 4 API Apps, those can all live as part of the same App Service Plan.

The Basic level allows you to have an unlimited number of API Apps. The limits come in the power behind those apps and number of calls (depending on what API Apps are used).

Then again, I could be reading it wrong as well ;-)

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 6:05 AM

All replies

• The way that I'm reading it is that while the solution described requires 4 API Apps, those can all live as part of the same App Service Plan.

The Basic level allows you to have an unlimited number of API Apps. The limits come in the power behind those apps and number of calls (depending on what API Apps are used).

Then again, I could be reading it wrong as well ;-)

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 6:05 AM
  • Ah I see, thanks for your reply. So basic tier allows "100 apps" - I assume that can be api apps, logic apps and so on. So it would be theoretically possible to have e.g 20 logic apps and 80 api apps. Ok great! Can someone from the team confirm that please?
    Saturday, April 25, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Nick's right - your App Service Plan allows you to deploy as many API apps as you like.

http://twitter.com/joshtwist

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:22 AM