Mirroring hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 75 GB hard drive and a 300 GB.  I want to mirror the 75 to the 300 and use the extra space as data storage.  Is this possible if I partition the 300 and then mirror the hard drives.

Thanks

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:24 PM

Answers

• Note that Database Mirroring in SQL Server 2005 is not in any way related to hardware (or software) disk mirroring for redundancy .. typically using RAID etc.

Database mirroring is at a database level as the name implies, not at a hard disk or hardware level.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:52 PM

All replies

• Could you provide more specific details what you wan to achive ?
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:33 AM
  • Note that Database Mirroring in SQL Server 2005 is not in any way related to hardware (or software) disk mirroring for redundancy .. typically using RAID etc.

Database mirroring is at a database level as the name implies, not at a hard disk or hardware level.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:52 PM
  • I want to mirror my main hard drive to my secondary as a sort of backup.  This is how all the other servers were set up, before I got here.  The server was ordered before I got here and so I am working with what I have.  I am told that the extra space on the second hard drive should be used as database storage.  I am not sure if I can partition the second hard drive, so that I can use some of the space to use as the mirror for the main hard drive, and the rest of the space for database storage.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:19 PM
  •  

If you use Windows software mirroring, it can use free space to create seperate paritition to store files.  Hardware mirroring can't support this.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:15 PM