none
Outlook 2013 Error delivering message, and the original message has disappeared. Where is it? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to send email to a friend.  I wrote a two-page email and hit send.  It was stuck in Outbox, so I restarted outlook.  On restart I received email from System Adminstrator with exactly this text:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:    Update from the UK

Sent: 20/02/2013 23:38

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

There was no information after the semi-colon about the recipient.  I have subsequently attempted to send another message to same recipient and the same issue.  I received an email from the recipient only one day ago.  However, I can accept there is a problem with his email address, but I want to know where I now find the emails I have composed.  These are not in my Sent Items.

I am using a gmail email account via IMAP/SMTP.  I have connected via IE to gmail and the original message does not exist in gmail (not in Sent Items or any of the deleted items folders).  Where is this email?  I want to recover the text and send to the friend's work address.

I want to understand what the workflow is within Outlook after pressing send?  Message moves out of Drafts to Outbox, and then is sent over the network, and moved where?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:37 AM

All replies

• if this issue has nothing to do with custom code then it should be asked on end-user forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/outlook
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:59 AM
  • I've sent this message to development community, please, to answer the question of the sending email workflow.  Hopefully a developer will be experienced with this, and able to explain what steps Outlook takes when sending a message.  With this information I should be able to resolve where the problem is.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Hi Nik_dam,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll consult your issue with my colleague, you'll be informed if there's any update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

I'd like to try to explain Outlook sending email functionality. This process applies to a lot more other mail client as well.

Your message is sent by Gmail server in this case, Outlook is the client that composing mail and work together with mail server. After you complete the email and press Send button, the mail is transfterred to mail server.  Mail Server will analyze the recipient address to determine the target mail server that will accept the email. In john.smith@example.com, example.com is resolved to IP address, which is used to setup tcp/ip connection.

In your case, most likely the recipient experienced a change, but you're not aware of. While Gmail server could not resovle the email address, the mail server send an email receipt to your Gmail account. You should be able to find your original full message in this email.

So, anyway, you can find out the origional message from Gmail "Inbox".

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

• Proposed as answer by Forrest GuoModerator Monday, February 25, 2013 6:53 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by nik_dam Monday, February 25, 2013 9:09 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 6:53 AM