none
VS 2015 cannot create setup project

Question

• I get the following message trying to create a windows installer project in solution(s) I need to deploy:

unable to open project 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\VSI\bin\VsdProjects\Setup.vbproj'

How can I clean this up?

I have already uninstalled, reinstalled VS; as well as added latest 'Update 3'

Jose Forcade

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Setup projects are no longer come by default to VS project templates that's why you are unable to oppthem. You need to install VS setup installer project template from https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f1cc3f3e-c300-40a7-8797-c509fb8933b9

After installing it please close VS and open your project again.

Thanks, Mahmoud

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Thanks for Mahmoud's help.

Hi Jose,

I install this extension tool in my VS2015 Enterprise version, I could create the setup project successfully in windows 7.

Since this project template was added by this extension tool, and you know that it would not remove the extension tool even if you uninstall the VS, so maybe it is the reason whey uninstall and re-install the VS is not helpful.

If possible, you could uninstall this extension tool from TOOLS->Extensions and Updates, and then re-install it, restart your Machine, re-open your VS, check it again. Please also run your VS as the admin, view the result.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Setup projects are no longer come by default to VS project templates that's why you are unable to oppthem. You need to install VS setup installer project template from https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f1cc3f3e-c300-40a7-8797-c509fb8933b9

After installing it please close VS and open your project again.

Thanks, Mahmoud

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Mahmoud,

Thanks for the link.  I'm developing on a Windows 7 computer and also setting up a new Windows 10 computer.  I installed the 'VS setup installer project template' on Win 10 and that worked correctly.  However, on the Windows 7 computer I ran 'Repair' and I still cannot create.  I have also used the Win 7 system for VS 2010 and VS 2013.  I believe they also have this problem on the Win 7 computer.  As I mentioned before I have uninstalled and reinstalled VS before trying to get rid of the message.

Is there a 'clean up' tool for this sort of problem? 

Jose

Jose Forcade

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:51 PM
  • Hi Jose,

The issue is not related to the Windows version , it's more related to the VS version. For Visual Studio 2013 install the relevant VS extension as for 2015 and try opening the project. For VS 2010, make sure that the project is not created using higher VS version.

Thanks, Mahmoud

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Thanks for Mahmoud's help.

Hi Jose,

I install this extension tool in my VS2015 Enterprise version, I could create the setup project successfully in windows 7.

Since this project template was added by this extension tool, and you know that it would not remove the extension tool even if you uninstall the VS, so maybe it is the reason whey uninstall and re-install the VS is not helpful.

If possible, you could uninstall this extension tool from TOOLS->Extensions and Updates, and then re-install it, restart your Machine, re-open your VS, check it again. Please also run your VS as the admin, view the result.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:54 AM
  • Hello Jack,

I have the same problem under Visual Studio 2010. At 4th of august 2018 it worked fine, but from today morning not. Is there some way how can I clean this up?

Regards,

Jan

• Edited by trestij Monday, August 6, 2018 9:59 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2018 9:58 PM