Premium to Standard HDD RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Support,

I have one VM which has following details.

1. One OS Disk with Standard HDD.
    2. One Data Disk with Premium HDD.
    3. Premium HDD has Oracle 11g Installed and DB is restored on SAME (PREMIUM HDD) DISK.

Query:- If we move our Premium HDD to Standard HDD does my Oracle (Installation, Configuration and DB Restoration) will effect or not.

BR

Malik Adeel Imtiaz

Malik Adeel Imtiaz

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:29 AM

Answers

•  There won’t be any effect or data loss.

For your confirmation still you can take a snapshot of the disk as a backup before attempting to change the disk type. Since that’s a database.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I hope you are mentioning Premium SSD and not Premium HDD.  

Available disk types in Azure are standard HDD, standard SSD, Premium SSD and Ultra SSD(preview) . Link here.

You can change the disk type when the disk is not attached with a running VM. YOu can change the type when its not attached to a vm or the Vm is in stopped state.

Changing the disk type will only change the performance of the disk and no change will be there for the data.

You can take a snapshot of the disk as a backup before attempting to change the disk type. Since thats a database, I hope you would have enabled backup already.

Let me know if you have more questions

Friday, July 12, 2019 11:55 AM
  • Just to clarify: There is no premium HDD.  if you are referring to premium SSD to standard HDD.

We can switch between Premium SSD to Standard HDD   There won’t be any effect or data loss.

Because conversion requires a restart of the virtual machine (VM), you should schedule the migration of your disk storage during a pre-existing maintenance window.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Friday, July 12, 2019 12:10 PM
  • Any update on this?

If the propose answer was useful please remember to "Upvote" and "Mark as Answer"

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Dear Gurus,

Thank you for your quick reply. Very much appreciated.

My mistake, i am talking about Premium SSD. 

Particularly, i am talking about Premium SSD w.r.t Oracle.

Query:- If we move our Premium SSD to Standard HDD does my Oracle (Installation, Configuration and DB Restoration which is on Premium SSD) will effect or not.

Thanks

Malik Adeel Imtiaz

Malik Adeel Imtiaz

Monday, July 15, 2019 12:26 PM
  •  There won’t be any effect or data loss.

For your confirmation still you can take a snapshot of the disk as a backup before attempting to change the disk type. Since that’s a database.

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:05 PM