how to deal with database (data tables) while customizing a product RRS feed

• Question

• User-74517680 posted

i am developing a product based website (products like laptops, desktops etc), So in order to deal with these kind of products i would like to provide Customizing option on the product page so that customer can customize their laptops/desktops etc (they can increase/decrease the size of RAM, Hard Disk, change media, wireless etc

So in my database i have a product table now i don't know how to connect these additional options with each product (because few of these options might be same for some products and might be different for each product)

Along with the customizing products, i would like to display accessories related to each laptop/desktop but again in the database i don't know how to connect it with each product (because for this too there is a possibility that it could be same for few products and could be different for each product)

Please guide me how to handle this situation in the database (backend)....I will appreciate any kind of help (if someone could give me the structure of tables in order to handle these situations, it will be GREAT)..

This is what i would like to see in customizing option of product(s):

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:24 AM

All replies

• User1925485754 posted

I personally would create a third table with the productID, and the optionID and a boolean value indicating whether the option is available, you can then customise this table further with options which rely on other options. This would then populate your data in your select command.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:37 AM
  • User-74517680 posted

I even posted an image how i would like to see customizing option, i would appreciate it you could explain me in detail by giving me an example of tables and how to connect those tables, Please !!!!

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:44 AM
  • User1925485754 posted

Yeah I'm sorry I'm not going to write it for you, but a small example would be:

tbl_Products

ProductID

ProductName

BasePrice

tbl_Options

OptionID

OptionName

Value

tblProductOptions

RecordID

ProductID

OptionID

Available

PriceWeighting

Surely you can write SQL to select matching product options for a product ID and whether the boolean indicated if they were available.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:56 AM
  • User-74517680 posted

thanks for the example and for your time...But still i am little confused, If tables are like your example then practically how it will work, how product along with the additional options/items will be added to the shopping cart,

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:00 PM
  • User-74517680 posted

Any more idea(s)/solution(s) for my problem ?????.... Any kind of help would be appreciated....

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:20 PM
  • User504625014 posted

Hi, I think, This should be the table structure

Products (Master Table)

ProductID

StandardFeature1

StandardFeature2

Price

OrderProduct (Transaction Table) 

OrderId

ProductId

Qty

Total Price

ProductCusomizations

CustomizationID

ProductId

CustomizationDescription

OrderCustomization (For customized Product Orders)

OrderId

CustomizationId

Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:09 AM
  • User1925485754 posted

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:50 AM
  • User-74517680 posted

Guys please help me out,If i use G0ggy solution by creating 3 tables then how am i gonna display the customizing options ? lets say i wanna display them in Radio button then how i will display these customizing options ?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:17 AM
  • User-74517680 posted

and where i will make the groups for customizing options because customizing options also belongs to groups like : Hard Drive, Media, Memory etc...I am totally confused...Please help me out...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:19 AM
  • User1925485754 posted

You have your answer above, if you're looking for people to write it for you you need to get your cheque book out.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:38 AM
  • User-74517680 posted

You have your answer above, if you're looking for people to write it for you you need to get your cheque book out.

Thanks dude for your suggestion, its not that i was asking here to make a white house for me, i was asking for advise and Normal people doesn't ask/talk about money while giving an advise...

Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:45 AM
  • User1925485754 posted

Then you're not reading, users including myself, have given you the answer.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:59 AM
  • User-74517680 posted

then i guess you're not reading cuz IF YOU READ CAREFULLY THEN AGAIN I HAVE ASKED A QUESTION REGARDING DISPLAYING CUSTOMIZING OPTIONS IN RADIO BUTTONS FROM DATABASE and i dont see any answer for that question here, may be that answer is invisible right ? See if you dont want to help then simply dont reply back, cuz if YOU are a money minded person then that doesn't means everyone is like you here who asks for money for giving advises/suggestions. This is a forum in which we all help each other to solve each other's problems/issues.

Hope you got it....

Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:54 AM
  • User1925485754 posted

No mate, you don't get it, you asked about customizing a database for product options, you were given that answer, if you now need a suggestion to display those options on the front end then we're starting to write the bloody thing for you.

There's a difference in asking for help, and being obtuse to the help you get.

Friday, December 18, 2009 7:14 AM