SQL Server 2008 Express RRS feed

• Question

• Can SQL Server 2008 Express be used with 64 bit Vista Home Premium?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:35 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

It's actually only four files at the most if you don't have any of the prerequisites, but it seems like more. <g>

The first thing to figure out is what exactly is not working. The fact that your program is not working doesn't necesarily mean that SQL Express is not working, just that something is misconfigured such that your program can't find SQL Server. Let's rule out a SQL problem first. Do the following:

1. On the Start menu find Microsoft SQL Server 2008 | Configuration Tools | SQL Server Configuration Manager and launch it.
    2. Look in the list of 'SQL Server Services' and find the one named 'SQL Server (****)" where the **** will be the name of your instance.
    3. Verify that it's State is listed as Running.
    4. Record the instance name and let us know what it is.
    • If it's not running, right click on it and Start it.
    • If it is running, it's likely not a problem with SQL Server, but...

For good measure, let's run a simple query to verify that you can connect and return information. Open a command prompt and run the following:

C:>SQLCmd -S<instance name> -E -Q"SELECT @@version"

Replace <instance name> with the name you found above. If this returns information about the version of SQL Server you're running, then we can safely believe that SQL Express is working fine. If SQL is working fine, troubleshooting gets a bit trickier since we're into the realm of your program and I don't know anything about your program or how it works. The most common things that may cause the behavior you're seeing are:

• The program is looking for a SQL Server with a different instance name. If your program offers you a place to designate the name of the server you will need to specify the instance name from above in the format: <computer name>\<instance name> in order to connect to the instance you have installed.
    • The database you're program needs doesn't exist. I don't know where this database comes from so I don't know if it's attached to the instance of SQL or not.
    • Your application isn't trying to find a database, it's trying to create one and you've not pointed it to the instance name of the server. See the original point about correct instance name.

Hopefully this gives you a few ideas as to how to proceed.

Regards,

Mike

If this post answers your question, please mark it as an Answer - it will help others searching the forum. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:01 AM

All replies

• Yes

My personal recomendation is the install using the Installation Wizard that is available from http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download, this will allow you to select the edition you want to install and then will automatically install any prerequisites that are missing from your computer and will select the correct installaton package for you OS architecture.

Regards,
    Mike
    If this post answers your question, please mark it as an Answer - it will help others searching the forum. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:51 AM
  • Yes

My personal recomendation is the install using the Installation Wizard that is available from http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download , this will allow you to select the edition you want to install and then will automatically install any prerequisites that are missing from your computer and will select the correct installaton package for you OS architecture.

Regards,
    Mike
    Mike,

Thanks ... I did just that.  By the time I finished, I think I had been led to download about 10 files.

I'm not familiar to Windows, much less the SQL ... but one of my programs requires the SQL.

It's not working.  the program does not find the database it's looking for.  Instead it lists the program name itself.

Any other thoughts would really be appreciated.

John
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Hi John,

It's actually only four files at the most if you don't have any of the prerequisites, but it seems like more. <g>

The first thing to figure out is what exactly is not working. The fact that your program is not working doesn't necesarily mean that SQL Express is not working, just that something is misconfigured such that your program can't find SQL Server. Let's rule out a SQL problem first. Do the following:

1. On the Start menu find Microsoft SQL Server 2008 | Configuration Tools | SQL Server Configuration Manager and launch it.
    2. Look in the list of 'SQL Server Services' and find the one named 'SQL Server (****)" where the **** will be the name of your instance.
    3. Verify that it's State is listed as Running.
    4. Record the instance name and let us know what it is.
    • If it's not running, right click on it and Start it.
    • If it is running, it's likely not a problem with SQL Server, but...

For good measure, let's run a simple query to verify that you can connect and return information. Open a command prompt and run the following:

C:>SQLCmd -S<instance name> -E -Q"SELECT @@version"

Replace <instance name> with the name you found above. If this returns information about the version of SQL Server you're running, then we can safely believe that SQL Express is working fine. If SQL is working fine, troubleshooting gets a bit trickier since we're into the realm of your program and I don't know anything about your program or how it works. The most common things that may cause the behavior you're seeing are:

• The program is looking for a SQL Server with a different instance name. If your program offers you a place to designate the name of the server you will need to specify the instance name from above in the format: <computer name>\<instance name> in order to connect to the instance you have installed.
    • The database you're program needs doesn't exist. I don't know where this database comes from so I don't know if it's attached to the instance of SQL or not.
    • Your application isn't trying to find a database, it's trying to create one and you've not pointed it to the instance name of the server. See the original point about correct instance name.

Hopefully this gives you a few ideas as to how to proceed.

Regards,

Mike

Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:01 AM