Windows 8 metro apps crash with HRESULT 0x80040150

Question

• So I developed a windows 8 application and I am running it on windows 8.1. In theory this should work, it works correctly when I run it on my laptop running windows 8, but when I change to a system that has 8.1 it crashes. 

I opened the project on the windows 8.1 system and tried to debug it and this what i get when I try to run it in VS2013:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Exception' occurred in CameraCapture.exe

Additional information: Could not read key from registry (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040150 (REGDB_E_READREGDB))

I even installed the sample 8.1 pack from Microsoft ,to see if maybe my application was the issue, and ran one of the samples and it behaves the same way. I am lost on how to fix this, any help would be appreciated. 

• Moved by Fred Bao Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:25 AM Windows Store App
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hi catcherlang,

Probably you should try to fix your Visual Studio before continue.

The only thing we can confirm now is the problem is not on the code, but on your environment.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I move it to the windows store app forum for getting better help.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:24 AM
  • Hi catcherlang,

Probably you should try to fix your Visual Studio before continue.

The only thing we can confirm now is the problem is not on the code, but on your environment.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:24 AM