Windows 8 Tablet Backward Compatibility with Windows 7 Desktop Application RRS feed

• Question

• I need to move a Windows 7 desktop managed application to a Windows 8 Tablet device (Lenovo). Will I be able to simply install and run the application, or will it require recompiling?
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:46 AM

Answers

• >I need to move a Windows 7 desktop managed application to a Windows 8 Tablet device (Lenovo). Will I be able to simply install and run the application, or will it require recompiling?

That depends on whether the tablet device is running Windows 8 RT
    (ARM) or the full Windows 8 (x86 or x64).

If the device is a full Windows 8 OS, then the application should
    work, otherwise you'll need to look into reworking the application as
    a store (Metro) app.

Dave

Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:00 AM

All replies

• I need to move a Windows 7 desktop managed application to a Windows 8 Tablet device (Lenovo). Will I be able to simply install and run the application, or will it require recompiling?

You will almost certainly be able to install and run it with mouse and keyboard. How well it will run in a touch interface you would have to test.

What do you mean by recompiling? Just recompiling with a later version of Visual C++ is unlikely to help an application that does not run well in the touch interface. The main problems are likely to be text entry and UI elements that are too small.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:21 AM
  • >I need to move a Windows 7 desktop managed application to a Windows 8 Tablet device (Lenovo). Will I be able to simply install and run the application, or will it require recompiling?

That depends on whether the tablet device is running Windows 8 RT
    (ARM) or the full Windows 8 (x86 or x64).

If the device is a full Windows 8 OS, then the application should
    work, otherwise you'll need to look into reworking the application as
    a store (Metro) app.

Dave

Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:00 AM
  • First - thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

Here's the CPU specs on the Lenovo ThinkPad Helix: 3<sup>rd</sup> generation Intel<sup>®</sup> Core&trade i7-3667U (4M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz). Source: Shop.Lenovo.com

I'm not familiar with Windows 8 so I can't tell what flavor of Win8 OS is installed on it; when I click on the Desktop tile it navigates to a screen that looks like my Windows 7 desktop.

• Edited by msrvs Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:16 AM grammar
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:11 AM
  • Thanks for your response. By recompiling I meant whether I can just change the Target to Windows 8 on Visual Studio 2012 and clean/rebuild the application.
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:13 AM
  • Thanks for your response. By recompiling I meant whether I can just change the Target to Windows 8 on Visual Studio 2012 and clean/rebuild the application.

Applications that were built to run on the Windows 7 OS should run completely unchanged on the desktop version of Windows 8. Whether your Windows 8 has a desktop is something you will have to determine. Judging from the hardware specs, it is highly likely that it does.
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 5:51 AM
  • >Here's the CPU specs on the Lenovo ThinkPad Helix: 3<sup>rd</sup> generation Intel<sup>®</sup> Core&trade i7-3667U (4M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz). Source: Shop.Lenovo.com

As it's an x86/x64 CPU it'll be full Windows, so any applications that
    run on earlier versions of Windows should just work.

Dave

Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:07 AM