SQL failover cluster Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,
    I am having SQL failover cluster in my environment see the below structure,
    In my SQL failover I am having 2 Nodes
    Node 1:- Windows server 2003 with SQL server 2005 SP2 (Active)
    Node 2: -Windows server 2003 with SQL Server 2005 SP2 (Passive)
    Now here I am planning to Migrate My Operating system as well as SQL server as below,
    Node 1:- Windows Server 2008 SP2 with SQL Server 2008 SP2 (Active)
    Node 2:- Windows Server 2008 SP2 with SQL Server 2008 SP2 (Passive)
    Can someone please guide me step by step process...
    Regards, Ganesh M <!> Microsoft MPN - Member =========================================================== Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:27 PM
  • thanks it work for me!!!!!
    Regards, Ganesh M <!> Microsoft MPN - Member =========================================================== Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Can you tell me how you got the SQL Installed on the new Cluster?

I already have the SQL upgraded.  I am trying to upgrade the OS from Win 2008 to Win2008R2.

From the docs it says.

1.  Upgrade SQL on existing non-R2 Cluster

2.  Create a new R2 Cluster  (I am assuming I have to create a new cluster with a new cluster name?  I can't reuse the old cluster name?)

3.  How to I install the SQL Server on new R2 Cluster.  I can't join an existing SQL Cluster.  If I create a new one then I have to create a new SQL Cluster name? but then I use the Cluster Migration Wizard and then after I will have two SQL Cluster Resources?

Thanks,

thai

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Can you tell me how you got the SQL Installed on the new Cluster?

I already have the SQL upgraded.  I am trying to upgrade the OS from Win 2008 to Win2008R2.

From the docs it says.

1.  Upgrade SQL on existing non-R2 Cluster

2.  Create a new R2 Cluster  (I am assuming I have to create a new cluster with a new cluster name?  I can't reuse the old cluster name?)

3.  How to I install the SQL Server on new R2 Cluster.  I can't join an existing SQL Cluster.  If I create a new one then I have to create a new SQL Cluster name? but then I use the Cluster Migration Wizard and then after I will have two SQL Cluster Resources?

Thanks,

thai

I know this is older, but does anyone know the answer to Thai's questions in relation to the OP's solution?
    Friday, June 14, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Anyone know?
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:36 PM