none
Windows Defender service won't start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm just going to setup a new WES7 image and noticed errors in the event log telling me that the Windows Defender Service was terminated with error %%-2147024891 (or: 0x80070005). Trying to start this service manually brings up a "Access denied" error.

There are no missing dependencies in my config and the DS is up to date. An infection is impossible, the machine is not and was never connected to a network since beginning of the installation.

What may have gone wrong?

Regards,

Willi K.

Friday, February 1, 2013 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hey Willi:

Do you add the package named "AntiMalware" into your image? the path is ICE->feature pack->Security. After built, the Windows Defender is disable first, you should enable it first and downloaded some update first then it work.

You also fix the setting to enable first in the ICE. Set the "DisableAntiApyware" parameter value to enable. 

• Marked as answer by Willi K Monday, February 4, 2013 12:54 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hey Willi:

Do you add the package named "AntiMalware" into your image? the path is ICE->feature pack->Security. After built, the Windows Defender is disable first, you should enable it first and downloaded some update first then it work.

You also fix the setting to enable first in the ICE. Set the "DisableAntiApyware" parameter value to enable. 

• Marked as answer by Willi K Monday, February 4, 2013 12:54 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Hi Bagira520,

have thanks for your help. Installing the definition update from http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/howtowd.aspx did it.

Regards,

Willi K.

• Edited by Willi K Monday, February 4, 2013 12:57 PM Added URL to definition files
    Monday, February 4, 2013 12:55 PM