Guidance Needed: SQL Server to SQL Azure migration RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 1 GB Database with our Shared hosted SQL SERVER 2008. However our hosting refuse to increase the database size, and hence we are looking for option to host our database, and we got 2 choices, SQL Azure or Dedicated Server. Considering the cost of SQL Azure is less than <$15 per month for upto 2GB Database, where as dedicated server or VPS will cost at least $50 or more. We do not want to shift our website, but only database. So,

1. Am I right to say that if we shift to Azure [only database] and if our database remain less than 2GB then we have to pay only that $9.99 + $3.9 per Additional GB. or there will be more fee based on bandwidth etc ?

2. Can we only host database with SQL Azure or is it mandatory to take Windows Azure service. 

We are not very clear on their licensing and have no experience of any cloud service before. We work on dedicated server only and understand that only :(. so please guide in short words if possible. Thanks.

Sumit Gupta http://www.sumitgupta.net

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Vikasumit,

1. For a 2GB database you will indeed pay $13.99. If you will access the database from outside Azure you will also have to pay bandwidth. Only outbound data is being charged and the price for North America and Europe is $0.12 / GB (Asia Pacific is $0.19, details here). You can easily compute the price for Azure services using the pricing calculator available here.

2. You do not need to need to buy any other additional service. You can purchase just the database. However, keep in mind that because of the distance between the database and web server your application's performance might degrade (though you can decrease that distance by choosing the Azure data center closest to your web server). You should use the Azure's free trial and see if it suits your needs.

My technical blog: ducons.com/blog

• Edited by FlorinDumitrescu Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Paras Doshi Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vikasumit Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Vikasumit,

1. For a 2GB database you will indeed pay $13.99. If you will access the database from outside Azure you will also have to pay bandwidth. Only outbound data is being charged and the price for North America and Europe is $0.12 / GB (Asia Pacific is $0.19, details here). You can easily compute the price for Azure services using the pricing calculator available here.

2. You do not need to need to buy any other additional service. You can purchase just the database. However, keep in mind that because of the distance between the database and web server your application's performance might degrade (though you can decrease that distance by choosing the Azure data center closest to your web server). You should use the Azure's free trial and see if it suits your needs.

My technical blog: ducons.com/blog

• Edited by FlorinDumitrescu Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Paras Doshi Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vikasumit Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:47 PM
  • As FlorinDumitrescu Pointed out. There is additional fees based on volume of Data Moving out.So yes it's $13.98 Per month + Bandwidth Cost

And once you get a Windows Azure Account, You can use ONLY SQL Azure - you do not need to use other services.

And would be happy to clarify or provide more details on what I just said.

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )

• Edited by Paras Doshi Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:56 AM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

At the risk of over simplifying, SQL Azure is mostly a subset of SQL Server. You should read about the differences between developing for SQL Server and SQL Azure: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh698320(v=vs.103).aspx

If your database can run in SQL Azure with few modifications you get a some amazing benefits, perhaps the most important one being high availability out of the box.

Herve Roggero, MVP SQL Azure Co-Author: Pro SQL Azure http://www.herveroggero.com

Friday, April 27, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Thanks for guide, it will help me really. BTW I too want to use Azure service, just need to test it's fesibility in terms of budget and migration efforts before we can make decision.

Sumit Gupta http://www.sumitgupta.net

Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:17 PM