none
Excel VBA automation stopped working for IE - Run-time error '-2147418113 (8000fffff)' - Automation error, Catastrophic failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a basic automation script in Excel that opens a IE session and post data into a series of web forms which has worked for a couple of years now without any real issues.

However yesterday I went to use and got a automation error when running the function, retyring it gave similar but different errors related to automation failure the main one being. An IE session is still opened but the VBA script errored at

Run-time error '-2147418113 (8000fffff)' - Automation error, Catastrophic failure

Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005) - Method 'Document of object 'IWebBrowser2' failed

When opening IE and browsing for support I also noticed that when I navigate to I get a message saying "Your browser is not supported, You need to update your browser to use the site.  Update to the latest version of Internet Explorer "

On checking version I see "Version 11.239.18362.0 / Update Version 11.0.135" -

I then tried this same excel script on another Win10 laptop, and all worked as expected however I dont get that same message when browsing to the support site, and the version is different "Version .11.615.17763.0 / Update Version 11.0.135)

I then attempted to update IE on the machine with the new issue and installed all recent windows updates (now and also tried to disabled and re-enabled IE feature with restarts etc) and still no luck, same error is received

The machine in question is a Lenovo X1 Yoga running Win10 Pro on Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

I have searched for others with similar problems and tried a few VBA changes but to no success

The error is received on the IE.Navgate function or the first IE.Document call

Function Fillnvoice()
      Dim IE As Object

Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")

IE.Navigate "<URL>"

IE.Visible = True
      While IE.busy
        DoEvents  'wait until IE is done loading page.
      Wend

IE.Document.All("srchOns").selectedindex = 1

I am no development guru, I wrote script to helpo reduce admin time entering invoices into a customer portal, but it saves me significant time and its a pain to not be able to run

So any advice very welcome

Sunday, August 11, 2019 12:58 PM