Problem tracking all activities after splitting a workflow RRS feed

• Question

• We've created a rather large workflow hosted in IIS. For this workflow, tracking worked fine with the out-of-box settings provided by AppFabric.

However, as the workflow grew, we've decided to split it into more manageable XAML parts. In other words, chunks of the original workflow were cut and pasted into a new Activity, and later that activity was used in the original workflow. Simple.

However, now, tracking doesn't seem to work too well. AppFabric will continue to track activities in the main workflow, yes, but once any of the parts are being run no further events are generated.

From what I gathered, I might need a custom tracking profile with the "implementationVisibility" set to All. However it's still not working even after I've set it up.

Here's my .TP file:

<trackingProfile name="Custom Tracking Profile" implementationVisibility="All">
      <workflow activityDefinitionId="*">
        <workflowInstanceQueries>
          <workflowInstanceQuery>
            <states>
              <state name="Started" />
              <state name="UnhandledException" />
              <state name="Persisted" />
              <state name="Unsuspended" />
              <state name="Aborted" />
              <state name="Canceled" />
              <state name="Completed" />
              <state name="Terminated" />
            </states>
          </workflowInstanceQuery>
        </workflowInstanceQueries>
        <activityStateQueries>
          <activityStateQuery activityName="*">
            <states>
              <state name="Closed" />
            </states>
          </activityStateQuery>
        </activityStateQueries>
        <customTrackingQueries>
          <customTrackingQuery name="*" activityName="*" />
        </customTrackingQueries>
        <faultPropagationQueries>
          <faultPropagationQuery faultSourceActivityName="*" faultHandlerActivityName="*" />
        </faultPropagationQueries>
        <bookmarkResumptionQueries>
          <bookmarkResumptionQuery name="*" />
        </bookmarkResumptionQueries>
      </workflow>
    </trackingProfile>

I'm loading it using AppFabric using the configuration screen, and the profile seems to be loaded correctly (bookmark resumption events are now tracked). But, again, only root workflow activities are tracked.

What am I doing wrong? Also, is there a way to set up the default tracking profile for all workflows?

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:17 PM

Answers

• I found that when I configured the tracking profile and its use directly in the web.config file, it started to work as expected, so I managed to overcome this issue.

It failed to work when using the IIS Management window to load the .tp file in a specific workflow service configuration. Why this was so I don't know.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Bender

Thanks for your feedback.

According to your description, I can hardly reproduce this issue. For this issue, I'd like to suggest you to refer the article of Tracking Profiles, and check your procedure on your side, perhaps this is helpful for you to troubleshoot.

In addition, this series of tutorials are also available to configure Monitoring using IIS Manager,             

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:30 AM
  • I found that when I configured the tracking profile and its use directly in the web.config file, it started to work as expected, so I managed to overcome this issue.

It failed to work when using the IIS Management window to load the .tp file in a specific workflow service configuration. Why this was so I don't know.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:00 AM