Runtime Broker Memory Leak issues

Question

• Hi all,

This issue seems not fixed in a long time...

The Runtime Broker process uses so much memory when I am using StorageFileQueryResult.GetFilesAsync(). 10000 images uses 500 MB. Even when I am using file.Properties.GetXXXPropertiesAsync(), the memory usage is rising also.

My App needs to get properties of storage files. So Runtime Broker process would using 95% memory when I query 20000 image files.

Is there any way to reduce memory usage, or release the memory manually?

Thanks a million.

Nick

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Nick,
         If the memory decreases when the loading is complete, that means it's working normally and there is no leak.  If you're concerned about it using too much memory, then don't load so many images simultaneously.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, October 27, 2014 2:20 PM

All replies

• Does the memory decrease when the StorageFileQueryResult goes out of scope, or does it continue to linger around throughout the lifetime of the app? How about when you kill the app?

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, October 17, 2014 12:47 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Yeah, the memory usage of Runtime Broker process will decrease to 50M when the loading has completed. Besides, the memory usage will decrease even I kill the app.

So it means that there is no problem using StorageFileQueryResult and GetXXXPropertiesAsync?

Thanks so much.

Nick

Monday, October 20, 2014 9:29 AM
  • Hi Nick,
         If the memory decreases when the loading is complete, that means it's working normally and there is no leak.  If you're concerned about it using too much memory, then don't load so many images simultaneously.

Monday, October 27, 2014 2:20 PM