wsdl.exe

Question

• is there an wsdl.exe that generate a client for metro style apps? (written in c#)
    Friday, August 17, 2012 6:34 PM

Answers

• I found out how to do this if anyone is interested.

You simply download the XML WSDL file from the site via a normal browser.

Then in VS2012, you can add a service reference to that file directly (i.e. put in the full path to the file c:\tmp\mywsdl.xml) and it will be able to generate the proxy for you.

• Proposed as answer by MarkMacumber Friday, October 12, 2012 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:36 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 1:12 AM

All replies

• Does the "Add service reference" command in VS not work for your scenario? That is available for Windows 8 C# projects, for example.

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

No it doensnt. Having an external webservice behind authentication, visual studio doesnt handle that for me.. i found svcutil but that doesnt support authentication..

Sunday, August 19, 2012 11:41 AM
  • No you do not use WSDL.

Can you give more details about your services and the auth it is using?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:19 PM
  • its a wcf services hosted in a sharepoint envoriment which i dont maintain.. so cant turn off authentication...
    Monday, September 3, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Can you give more details about the service and the auth it is using?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:52 AM
  • default sharepoint 2010. so guess ntlm.

its not a problem to use the webservice as soon you created then i can connect with it. in another situation i had a pc in the same domain and so authentication was arranged. The problem occurs when the sharepoint and development machine are in dfiferent domains (or the development isnt in a domain).

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Let's break this down to help us isolate what the issue is.

Since the problem also occurs when you create a C# Windows application this has really nothing to do with Windows Store app development correct?  What is your background, are you an experienced WCF developer?

I don't understand this statement: "its not a problem to use the webservice as soon you created then i can connect with it."  can you clarify?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:15 PM
  • is there any update on this? I cannot find it either and I need to reference a secure WSDL which I have downloaded locally for Windows 8 Metro apps
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:14 AM
  • I found out how to do this if anyone is interested.

You simply download the XML WSDL file from the site via a normal browser.

Then in VS2012, you can add a service reference to that file directly (i.e. put in the full path to the file c:\tmp\mywsdl.xml) and it will be able to generate the proxy for you.

• Proposed as answer by MarkMacumber Friday, October 12, 2012 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:36 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 1:12 AM