TFS2012 Express Limited Web Access features management RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed TFS2012 Express with update 1 this week on a windows 2012 server.

I'd like to enable Work item view only for some external people, as the product details page seems to tell us that it is possible.

(section "Increase visibility of your project with Team Web Access." of the TFS 2012 Express product page)

The documentation says to add the users in the "Limited" group, of the "Web Access" tab of the administration site.

I just don't have any "web access" tab between the control panel and Extension tabs.

is it normal for this Express edition ? 

am I missing something ?

thanks for your answers, and all apologies for my English, I didn't practice for few years...

Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:25 AM

Answers

• Hi tartiflette69,

Thanks for your feedback!

I would suggest you to report this issue on our Connect Portal:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/
    Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. If they have some feedback on it, they will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hi tartiflette69,

Thanks for your post!

Have you set the Acess Levels to Full as default?

Please refer to the following screenshot:

For more informaiton, please refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2012/02/23/coming-soon-tfs-express.aspx

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 21, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Thanks for your answer, but in the control panel, I only have one "Control panel" Tab, and one "Extension" tab, but no "web access" tab...

so I can't set the web access level to any value....

I'm on a new 2012 server, installed last week with File sharing, AD controller roles,

SQL Server 2012 Express with advanced tools,

and TFS Express update 1. All in French.

Best Regards,

Tartiflette69

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:24 AM
  • Hi tartiflette69,

Can you tell me if you have the TFS administrator permission?

For more information, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj159364.aspx

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Hi Cathy Kong,

I am in the TFS Administrator group...

I tried this morning a brand new installation of TFS Express, (uninstall, delete databases, install from the "tfs_express.exe" 740Ko installer, 

I made the installation from a domain admin account,

I checked the account is added automatically in the TFS administrator group, then I set up the default collection.

-> same problem, I only get the "control panel" and "Extension" tabs. no "Web Access" tab...

[edit] : if I try to type "http://xxxxxxx:8080/tfs/_admin/_licenses, I get a "page not found" error....

best regards,

Tartiflette69

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Hi tartiflette69,

I would suggest you to report this issue on our Connect Portal:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/
    Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. If they have some feedback on it, they will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Hi tartiflette69,

I just responded to the Connect issue that was opened about this.  The fact that you can't access this feature is by design.  On TFS Express we block access to the Web Access (licensing) UI so users can't add additional features to their server.  Can you please provide me a link to the documentation that stated this option was available so that I can have it fixed?

Thanks,

Andrea (MSFT)  

• Proposed as answer by AndreaMS Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:43 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Hi tartiflette69,

After consult someone familiar with this, as Andrea said, this is by design.  On Express we block access to the Web Access (licensing) UI so users cannot add additional features to the server.

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

• Proposed as answer by bkuflu Wednesday, November 26, 2014 10:37 AM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 1:05 AM
  • Hi AndeaMS and Cathy Kong,

the product documentation page that can be found at :

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-team-foundation-server-express#product-express-tfs

says (near the end, just before System requirements)

Increase visibility of your project with Team Web Access.

Team Web Access provides much of the functionality that is available through Team Explorer, and some additional tools for project management. Team Web Access also enables members of the organization who are not licensed to access TFS to access the Work Item Only View (WIOV) for managing the work items they created, such as reporting code defects and suggesting product features.

The documentation speaks about the Work Item Only View (WIOV), and the Web Access (licensing) UI seems to be the only way to add some WIOV users...

[edit : ] 

So could you tell me if there is any way to grant some unlicenced user to Access the Work Item Only View on TFS 2012 Express ?

thanks,

[/Edit]

best regards

Friday, February 1, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Hi,

Did anyone ever answer this query?

"So could you tell me if there is any way to grant some unlicenced user to Access the Work Item Only View on TFS 2012 Express ?"

Thanks

Dave

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I didn't get any answer to this question, but I'm still interested by the functionality.

we are two developpers sharing sources with tfs Express but we can't allow limited user to use TFS for bugtracking, as without the limited access, they can see everything (source etc..), and by the way, they are more than three so they would break the five user licence....

So if you find any way to enable the limited access feature in TFS Express (I didn't test the update 2), I'm still interested.

thanks

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:00 AM
  • I too, would be interested in adding Limited users to a TFS Express 2012 install.

I have a couple of spare licenses I can give to some testers for feedback, but I would rather they get a stripped down experience if possible. In addition, if they didn't count towards the license limit, I would be able to canvas feedback from a few more people more easily.

Monday, June 10, 2013 12:04 PM
  • Did you ever find a way to set up limited access/work item only view?
    Friday, November 22, 2013 7:12 PM