Azure Stack: I need to explore/learn Azure Stack. Can I get trail subscription for Azure Stack or do I have to buy a new Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I would like to explore the offerings and services provided in Azure Stack. 

How can we make use of Azure Stack as private cloud in on premises?

How can we integrate from on-premises to Azure Stack?

On Azure stack do we only get Compute, Network, Storage, Databases & App services? Do we also get other services like in Azure? Please suggest?

Can I also get a demo environment or sessions from Microsoft team members for my better understanding on Azure Stack?

Thank you

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 12:17 PM

Answers

• A full deployment of Azure Stack typically requires several servers and specific hardware from one of several OEMs. 

the ASDK is designed to be a proof of concept to run on a single server with these hardware requirements. This will give you the ability to build compute, network, storage, and database applications, but these will not be designed for a production system and not have typical redundancies in place. 

the ASDK spins up several VMs in HyperV which manage the deployments, and you can deploy resources in the Azure Stack Portal similar to how you deploy resources in the Azure Portal. 

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:05 PM

All replies

• Azure Stack is a hybrid cloud platform that lets you deliver azure services in your datacenter. 

It will function mostly like normal Azure, and you will connect to VNETS with on-premise via S2S VPNs or via direct routing. You will be able to spin up custom VMs along with some marketplace offerings.  

To migrate a workload into Azure Stack, you can manually migrate VMs or create new ones. 

Azure Stack can also use Azure SQL and MySQL, along with the existing services that you named. 

to demo azure stack, it is recommended to begin with the Azure Stack Development Kit where you can try out services and create a proof of concept. 

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:24 PM
  • Hi Travis,

Thank you for your quick response :)

When you say, we could begin our learning using Azure Stack Development Kit, what are the options does it allow us to perform. 

Would it give us private cloud with 1 Rack of Server with hyper-v enabled on it. 

Where we could build compute, network, storage, databases, applications etc.,

Please explain briefly...

Girish Prajwal 

• Edited by Girish Prajwal Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:38 AM added some more comments
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:36 AM
  • A full deployment of Azure Stack typically requires several servers and specific hardware from one of several OEMs. 

the ASDK is designed to be a proof of concept to run on a single server with these hardware requirements. This will give you the ability to build compute, network, storage, and database applications, but these will not be designed for a production system and not have typical redundancies in place. 

the ASDK spins up several VMs in HyperV which manage the deployments, and you can deploy resources in the Azure Stack Portal similar to how you deploy resources in the Azure Portal. 

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:05 PM