none
What's the diferences between "AllowConsumerEmail" and "AllowPOPIMAPEmail"? RRS feed

• Question

• I am implementing the policy "AllowConsumerEmail" and "AllowPOPIMAPEmail" for Android Exchange Apps.

Now, struggling with the understanding of "AllowConsumerEmail" and "AllowPOPIMAPEmail".

Part 1:

According http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123484.aspx

Allow Consumer Mail

This setting specifies whether the mobile phone user can configure a personal e-mail account (either POP3 or IMAP4) on the mobile phone. This policy setting requires an Exchange Enterprise Client Access License.

Allow POPIMAPEmail

This setting specifies whether the user can configure a POP3 or an IMAP4 e-mail account on the mobile phone.

Some issues:

I didn't find any differences between the definitions.  Even the "AllowConsumerEmail" point out  that the setting of this policy requires License, that's only for server not for Client. So it looks no differences?

Part2:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj218719(v=exchg.150).aspx

Set-MobileDeviceMailboxPolicy-->Parameters--> AllowConsumerEmail

The AllowConsumerEmail parameter specifies whether the mobile phone user can configure a personal email account on the mobile phone. The default value is $true. This parameter doesn't control access to emails using third-party mobile phone email programs.

Set-MobileDeviceMailboxPolicy -->Parameters--> AllowPOPIMAPEmail

The AllowPOPIMAPEmail parameter specifies whether the user can configure a POP3 or IMAP4 email account on the mobile phone. The default value is $true. This parameter doesn't control access by third-party email programs.

According the definition in Part 1 and Part 2, why the descriptions from Microsoft are not consistent?  

"This parameter doesn't control access by third-party email programs." That mean if the user install a third part of Email client can still configure any email account? Why this is not pointted out in Part 1?

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Mobile Writer, you can find additional information about those 2 policies in MS-ASPROV.

2.2.2.4 AllowConsumerEmail
    The AllowConsumerEmail element is an optional child element of type Boolean ([MS-ASDTYPE] section 2.1) of the EASProvisionDoc element (section 2.2.2.27) that specifies whether the device allows the user to configure a personal email account.

2.2.2.9 AllowPOPIMAPEmail
    The AllowPOPIMAPEmail element is an optional child element of type Boolean ([MS-ASDTYPE] section 2.1) of the EASProvisionDoc element (section 2.2.2.27) that specifies whether the device allows access to POP or IMAP email.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:54 PM

All replies

• Mobile Writer,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the Protocols team will contact you soon.

Pls note, your first link seems to be broken: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123484.asp.  Can you double check the address?

Bryan

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:52 AM
  • Thanks Bryan, Aready updated..
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Hi Mobile Writer, you can find additional information about those 2 policies in MS-ASPROV.

2.2.2.4 AllowConsumerEmail
    The AllowConsumerEmail element is an optional child element of type Boolean ([MS-ASDTYPE] section 2.1) of the EASProvisionDoc element (section 2.2.2.27) that specifies whether the device allows the user to configure a personal email account.

2.2.2.9 AllowPOPIMAPEmail
    The AllowPOPIMAPEmail element is an optional child element of type Boolean ([MS-ASDTYPE] section 2.1) of the EASProvisionDoc element (section 2.2.2.27) that specifies whether the device allows access to POP or IMAP email.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Thanks, i already read that protocol. THe items you listed already included in my questions.

Anyway  i will close this questions.  I will take them as the same policy for the client

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:15 AM